nagiosbpi and/or service/host dependencies

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
helpmenow

nagiosbpi and/or service/host dependencies

Post by helpmenow »

This is probably a very simple question, but I have been unable to solve it to date. I am using nagosbpi and have many nested groups and alerts. I would like to able to raise things up a level and have the top level group with the embedded dependency tree in place but not see the detail of the drill down. I tried configuring dependencies between alerts with little luck. I would like the logic of the dependencies without the detail provided by the the drill down for s menu we are developing for external groups.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Annette Brady
tacolover101

Re: nagiosbpi and/or service/host dependencies

Post by tacolover101 »

can you show us screenshots? i'm having a hard time picturing what you're referring to.
helpmenow

Post by helpmenow »

.....may be somewhat difficult...let me try....but let me explain further. I am using nagios bpi with the drill down menus. I would like to keep the top level choice showing with the drill down entries not showing on the top menu. I would like the dependencies to still be in place that if a lower level drill down entry turns red than the top level entry also turns red.

for example:
car - red
engine - green
tires - green
wheels- red

I would just like to see on the the menu the car (turning red if a dependency(in this case wheels)..without the drill down of engine, tires, wheels showing..and still have the car turn red on the top level menu when wheels turn red..or anything....under car...

Hopefully this helps illustrate what I am looking for. I tire to use the servicedependencies option without any luck. Any light you could shed on this would be most helpful. The goal is to build a higher level menu with less detail for a support group. Thanks for your response.

Annette Brady
helpmenow

Post by helpmenow »

ok..getting closer. I created a service alerts with bpi group and now I am getting a combined response. Unfortunately, I am not getting the comments back from the check_bpi.php column....very close..

Annette Brady
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

I still think screenshots might be useful.

That said, I'm not sure this is a feature we currently offer. You will likely want to request it at
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/na ... issues/new
helpmenow

Post by helpmenow »

HI,
First thanks for responding. The feature I am trying is right off the nagiosbpi directions. I am creating an alert right from an existing nagiosbpi group. This is listed at the bottom of the documentation at the following link,...

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... 1516900624

What exactly is not working now is that I am getting (No output returned from plugin). The alert is working correctly; just the text/status from the alert is not coming out correctly. When I run the check_bpi command manually the first line is blank and the second line has the Group state. The alert works correctly, just the text/status is incorrect. I progressed from the original question, I just can't get the text to come up correctly in the alert.

Thank-you,
Annette Brady
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

Did you change your request? In the future, if you do that, please open a new thread. Are you saying ./check_bpi.php <groupID> doesn't give expected results? Can you zip up and attach or PM all of the following:

STATUSFILE=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.dat
OBJECTSFILE=/usr/local/nagios/var/objects.cache
CONFIGFILE=/var/www/html/nagiosbpi/bpi.conf
CONFIGBACKUP=/var/www/html/nagiosbpi/bpi.conf.backup
XMLOUTPUT=/var/www/html/nagiosbpi/tmp/bpi.xml

Also, what is the output of the check_bpi.php command you are using?
helpmenow

Post by helpmenow »

ok...I figured out this issue. We are a large site..with lots of dashboards and we muck around a lot with Nagios. The issue was ultimately ours. The bpi_functions.php had been modified erroniously. More importantly, I was able to troubleshoot this in the following manner: I ran a stacktrace on amp_tool.php and narrowed down the modules in the environment that was causing the problem. I ran strace -o file /usr/local/nagios/share/nagiosbpi/environment/api_tool.php groupname. From there, I was able to look at the file contents and narrow down where the error was in bpi_functions.php.

Annette Brady
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Post by dwhitfield »

It sounds like this issue has been resolved. Is it okay if we lock this thread? Thanks for choosing the Nagios forums!
helpmenow

Post by helpmenow »

yes.