Host Dependency Flap Detection Notifications

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
acring

Host Dependency Flap Detection Notifications

Post by acring »

I believe I have run across a bug in Nagios Core 4.3.4

I have setup a host dependency to suppress notifications on a group of hosts as long as one specific host is up. Basically I only want to get notifications if this host "jack" is down.

Code: Select all

## Host Dependency
define hostdependency {
   host_name			             jack     ; This is the Master server
   dependent_hostgroup_name       JackDown ; These servers are dependent on jack
   notification_failure_criteria  o        ; (o = Up) Do not alert when jack is Up
}
This works for all d,u,r events, those notifications are suppressed. However Start and Stop Flapping notifications are still sent.

Please let me know if you need to see more of my config, but like it stated it correctly suppresses Down, Unreachable, and Recovery events, just not FlappingStart and FlappingStop notifications.

I have been unable to find anything related to this setup and the errors I am seeing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Host Dependency Flap Detection Notifications

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @acring. Can you send us the nagios.log file from the day when the flapping notifications wen out? You can find the today's log in:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
All the older nagios log files are in /usr/local/nagios/var/archives/ and they're grouped by date.
Did you have this issue on the older versions of Core as well?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
acring

Post by acring »

Hello @npolovenko,

I will reproduce the results tomorrow morning with a fresh log and send that over to you. Would you like it simple attached to this thread or PM'ed to you directly?

I have not used hostdependency in prior versions, so I do not know if it is an issue in older versions. I have been deploying a new nagios setup so the current log file is full of junk from my modifications and forced tests.

Thanks,
Adam
acring

Post by acring »

@npolovenko,

Attached is the logs from this mornings flapping events. In the logs there are flapping notifications sent for hosts and services. I would expect the ones for services because I don't have anything preventing them, but the flapping for the hosts is what should be suppressed as the host jack never went down. Jack's services went down, but jack himself remained up.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Thanks,
Adam
Attachments
nagios.log
Logs containing host flapping notifications.
(207.6 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@acring, I replicated this issue and submitted it to a github. You can keep track of it here:
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/na ... issues/477
And you can add more to it if I missed something.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
acring

Post by acring »

Thank you for verifying I was not crazy!

Adam
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@acring, Haha, you're welcome. I will lock this thread as resolved now. Thanks for using our support forum!