Issue installing 4.3.4 on Centos - ALL services Grey/PENDING

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
neworderfac33

Issue installing 4.3.4 on Centos - ALL services Grey/PENDING

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good afternoon,
I am attempting to create a new instance of Core 4.3.4 on a CentOS Linux 7 box (my previous 4 installations have all been on RHEL)
I successfully completed the installation, along with the Nagios plugins and NRPE.
I then added the IP address of the new server to NSClient.ini on 6 servers out of my total estate and restarted the service on each.
I can communicate with them manually via the command line using check_ping and check_nt, but in the web interface, every service on every server (including the 6 that I modified) is greyed out at "Pending"
In addition, I enabled AD logging on the server, which has worked on three previous occasions and installed Graphios, using the same method as on my previous installations. Both are working fine.
I copied my host definition files from my current server, along with commands.cfg, templates.cfg and services.cfg.
Can anyone suggest anything I could try - my screen looks VERY grey!
Thanks in advance
Pete
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: Issue installing 4.3.4 on Centos - ALL services Grey/PEN

Post by npolovenko »

@neworderfac33, Are the standard localhost checks also grey? Can you send the screenshot of the service state information for one of the grey checks? Is the last check time changing at all?
Also, please run these commands to disable SELinux:

Code: Select all

setenforce 0
sed -i 's/SELINUX=enforcing/SELINUX=disabled/g' /etc/selinux/config
What tutorial did you use to install Nagios core?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good afternoon - I used this:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... entos7.pdf
All the services on localhost are greyed out too, apart from the status which is a green "UP"
I ran both the commands to disable Selinux (which was already disabled), but everything is still grey - I can't send a screenshot unfortunately - company security polic, but when I go into Service State Information, it says: This service has not yet been checked, so status information is not available"
:-(
Thanks
Pete
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@neworderfac33, I just installed a clean Centos 7 and followed the steps in that manual to install Core+Plugins. All my localhost checks are green and updating. So it's either you have some limitations on your system, or could be that you forgot to run some installation commands:
Can you rerun the commands below, one line at a time:

useradd nagios
groupadd nagcmd
usermod -a -G nagcmd nagios
usermod -a -G nagcmd apache
After that:

service nagios restart
service httpd restart
Is the last check time ever updating next to your services? Is the next scheduled check time updating? Can you click on one of the service checks and send me a screenshot?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

All the service checks are scheduled for 15:43 yesterday - it's now 13:41 today!
Pete
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@neworderfac33, Please run this command to see if there are any config errors:

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg 
If there aren't please delete the following file and restart nagios:

rm /usr/local/nagios/var/retention.dat

service nagios restart
If that doesn't help either please post nagios.cfg file here:

/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
neworderfac33

Post by neworderfac33 »

Good afternoon - as an addendum to the above, I reinstalled Nagios, which reverted me to a "Vanilla" nagios.cfg that didn't include any of the host, hostgroup and service config file references that I'd added to it.
However, when I restart Nagiost, it's behaving as though it still had the original nagios.cfg there - as though it's somehow cached the whole session - all the hosts, hostgroups and services are still displayed - some of the "PENDING"s are still there with a mixture of Criticals and unknowns now, but it looks like the whole thing is well and truly goosed, so I'm going to request that the server is flattened and I'll start again.
Thanks
Pete
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@neworderfac33, Yeah, If you reinstall Nagios you need to make sure to either wipe the system or uninstall Nagios core and remove all the old files first. At this point, you probably have multiple instances of Nagios running.