Deleted checks keep showing up

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cbbs70a

Deleted checks keep showing up

Post by cbbs70a »

All;
I am running Nagios 4.3.4 on an Ubuntu 16 server that monitors several remote hosts. What I did was delete a bunch of checks in the Nagios server configuration but they still keep appearing in the web interface. I think the problem is that I had "retain_state_information=1" in nagios.cfg and because of that, the checks keep on appearing in the retention.dat file. When I set "retain_state_information=0" and deleted the file, the checks disappeared. So my question is this. How long do the checks stay in that file? Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks;
Frank
mcapra

Re: Deleted checks keep showing up

Post by mcapra »

Are you restarting the Nagios daemon when you remove the configuration files? That's usually what would trigger the "new" configuration set to be loaded.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
tmcdonald

Re: Deleted checks keep showing up

Post by tmcdonald »

@mcapra is right, they *should* go away after a restart of the process. If not, it could be either that you have duplicate Nagios Core processes and one is still hanging on to the old config info, or that you are using NDO and for one reason or another the database is not being properly updated on a restart.
Former Nagios employee