rabbitmq-server upgrade failed, but Core still works?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
gregg_hughes_ISC

rabbitmq-server upgrade failed, but Core still works?

Post by gregg_hughes_ISC »

Good afternoon, all!

I ran some updates on my Nagios server yesterday (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and apparently broke rabbitmq. The crash dump and apt logs aren't very helpful, but they're available. The odd thing is that Core is behaving just as it has since the original installation. ???

So, a couple of questions: first, how does Nagios use rabbitmq? Is there a default config and setup for rabbitmq in Nagios? This is if I can delete and reinstall rabbitmq for Nagios. Second, if rabbitmq stays broke, what part of Nagios would I have trouble implementing? If I want to start monitoring some other aspect of my datacenter, what part of Nagios would fail because of rabbitmq not loading?

Thanks to all for looking?

Gregg
mcapra

Re: rabbitmq-server upgrade failed, but Core still works?

Post by mcapra »

gregg_hughes_ISC wrote:how does Nagios use rabbitmq?
It doesn't unless you're working with some sort of custom installation.

https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/nagioscore

I'm assuming you might have some sort of custom notification handler configured that makes use of RabbitMQ?
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
gregg_hughes_ISC

Post by gregg_hughes_ISC »

Did a deep-dive into the rabbitmq configs - I don't see where it connects to anything. If it doesn't affect Nagios, I'm OK with leaving it alone.

Thanks!

Gregg
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

@mcapra is correct, we don't rely on RabbitMQ for anything in Core and we don't (to my knowledge) maintain any code that does (except maybe some plugins for monitoring it).
Former Nagios employee