NCPA and NAT

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
FranckB1

NCPA and NAT

Post by FranckB1 »

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how Nagios can manage to monitor remote hosts, located behind routers with a single public IP address, using Nat and port forwarding.

It's quite easy to specify a port number when using the check_ncpa plugin, in order to be translated towards the right host inside the remote network, but how Nagios manages the repsonses to determine from which host they come from.

Do we need to set a specific port for responses, in the NCPA configuration of each host ?
And how do we configure Nagios for making him able to match each response with the right host ?

Apologizes if my demand could seem to be trivial, but I haven't found any accurate response on this topic until now.

Thanks for help.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: NCPA and NAT

Post by lmiltchev »

It's quite easy to specify a port number when using the check_ncpa plugin, in order to be translated towards the right host inside the remote network, but how Nagios manages the repsonses to determine from which host they come from.

Do we need to set a specific port for responses, in the NCPA configuration of each host ?
And how do we configure Nagios for making him able to match each response with the right host ?
Nagios uses the host and service definition to know what check applies to what in the interface, so this wouldn't be an issue. With active checks, you could try something like this: translate ip:555 -> host1:5693 and ip:556 -> host2:5693, etc.

The question is, why complicate things? You could simply use passive checks.

Here's the NCPA documentation on passive checks:
https://www.nagios.org/ncpa/help.php#passive

Once the passive check results show up in the Unconfigured Objects, you can simply run the Unconfigured Passive Object wizard to set them up in Nagios XI. For more information on monitoring unconfigured objects, please review the document below:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ith_XI.pdf

Hope this helps.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
FranckB1

Post by FranckB1 »

Hi, and thank you so much for your response.

I've already considered to use passive checks for these kind of configuration (and already tested it, works fine...).

However, the main drawback of passive checks is that they are.... passive. Which implies that if the remote host is down, you'll never be sent an alert for it.
That's why I was looking for a solution to proceed active checks through internet towards private networks...
Nagios uses the host and service definition to know what check applies to what in the interface, so this wouldn't be an issue. With active checks, you could try something like this: translate ip:555 -> host1:5693 and ip:556 -> host2:5693, etc.
I understand what you mean, but where, in Nagios, can I set these translations ?

Thanks for help.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

FranckB1 wrote:Which implies that if the remote host is down, you'll never be sent an alert for it.
Not necessarily. Here's the official documentation for passive checks:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... hecks.html

Nagios Core has a concept of a given check's "freshness". Essentially, if your machines don't phone home within a certain amount of time, their check results are flagged as "stale" and you can alert/notify on this condition. More info:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... hness.html
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
kyang

Post by kyang »

Thanks @mcapra!
FranckB1

Post by FranckB1 »

Thanks @mcapra !

Really useful. I just tested it. It works fine !
FranckB1

Post by FranckB1 »

FranckB1 wrote:
I understand what you mean, but where, in Nagios, can I set these translations ?

Thanks for help.
Any help about this ?

Thanks in advance.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

FranckB1 wrote:
FranckB1 wrote:

Thanks for help.
Any help about this ?

Thanks in advance.
This was an example suggestion on how you could setup NAT on your router, it was not a Nagios or NCPA setup
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com