cannot run custom command from anywhere but libexec folder

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Nighthawkz

cannot run custom command from anywhere but libexec folder

Post by Nighthawkz »

I have a custom .py script provided to myself to monitor dell storage controllers. I'm trying to get nagios to run locally (no way of adding a client to the storage controller).

it's a python script that invokes a jar file.

the script is attached. the JAR file and the script currently sit in /usr/local/nagios/libexec/ and have been given full permissions (777) just to blank cover whilst I test set-up.

I've set up the command in the command.cfg as follows :

define command{
command_name check_compellent_alerts
command_line $USER1$/check_compellent_alert.py -P $USER47$
}

user47 beign the password I'm trying to pass it from the resource.cfg

and the check itself is in a check.cfg :

define service {
use generic-service
host_name c-host-1
service_description Command Utility Script Results
check_command check_compellent_alerts
}

problem is the script will only run - if I run the script manually from within the folder the script is located and add the password parameter I want to pass through as variables within the script itself. . otherwise if I try and run it like
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_compellent_alerts.py
or
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_compellent_alerts.py -P $USER47$

I get a traceback of "need one more argument to unpack" which I understand to believe meaning it's expecting a parameter to be passed but got nothing.

so now I'm doubting if I've actually set this up right at all and am hoping someone could help advise!

Regards
Attachments
check_compellent_alerts.py
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: cannot run custom command from anywhere but libexec fold

Post by npolovenko »

Hello, @Nighthawkz. Let's start from simple. Sign in to your system as a Nagios user and try to run the plugin locally:

Code: Select all

su -nagios

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_compellent_alerts.py -P *password*
You can not pass in macros from the resource.cfg locally:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_compellent_alerts.py -P $USER47$
Only nagios has access to this macro. So if you were to run the command locally you need to use a normal password.

Next, open the /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg file and make sure that:

enable_environment_macros=1
Also, pay attention to this:

illegal_macro_output_chars=`~$&|'"<>
That means $USER47$ can not contain any special characters.

Restart the nagios service with:

service nagios restart
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
Nighthawkz

Post by Nighthawkz »

Hi

running it as nagios:

nagios@nagios:/usr/local/nagios> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_compellent_alerts.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_compellent_alerts.py", line 81, in <module>
    alerts = run_CompCU("alert show")
  File "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_compellent_alerts.py", line 39, in run_CompCU
    (CUHeader,blank,CUBreak1,CUUser,CUHost,CUIntent,CUBreak2,CUConnect,CURunning)=lines[:9]
ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack

unless i CD into the libexec folder and run it as ./check_compellent_alerts.py

in which case it runs correctly.

the enable_environment_macros is set to one and teh password does nto contain any of the illegal characters

EDIT** took the -P out of the code bit as i forgot it had the password in it.....
danjoh

Post by danjoh »

Have you tried to use the fully qualified path to the jar-file?

I.e.

output=commands.getoutput('java -jar /usr/local/nagios/libexec/CompCU.jar -host %s -user %s -password %s -c "%s"' % (Host,SCUser,password,command))
instead of

output=commands.getoutput('java -jar CompCU.jar -host %s -user %s -password %s -c "%s"' % (Host,SCUser,password,command))
--
D/\N
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

danjoh wrote:Have you tried to use the fully qualified path to the jar-file?
You may also need the fully qualified path to java as well

output=commands.getoutput('/usr/bin/java -jar /usr/local/nagios/libexec/CompCU.jar -host %s -user %s -password %s -c "%s"' % (Host,SCUser,password,command))
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
Nighthawkz

Post by Nighthawkz »

wow - why did i not think of that.

it now works no mater where i run from manually. hopefully it'll also work when i re enable/restart nagios now!
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Let us know if you have further problems
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
Nighthawkz

Post by Nighthawkz »

apologies for the delay! I now getting the following results when nagios tries to run it automatically:

CRITICAL: Return code of 127 is out of bounds. Make sure the plugin you're trying to run actually exists. (worker: nagios3)

Running it from command line as either root or nagios user doesn't return a result - but doesn't fail either (don't think ti should re returning a result if nothings wrong to be honest)

*EDIT* I told a lie - it should be returning a result as I checked the storage manager itself (which has alerts). It just doesn't return anything. If I input the wrong password onto the command lien to be passed through, it does correctly return that the user could not be logged in due to incorrect log in:

"Couldn't connect to host-1: Error returned from Web Server, make sure certificates are created correctly (Incorrect or missing user login or password)"
Last edited by Nighthawkz on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
danjoh

Post by danjoh »

When you run it from the command line, what is the exit code?

Hint:

/usr/bin/java -jar /usr/local/nagios/libexec/CompCU.jar -host <Host> -user <SCUser> -password <password> -c "<command>"
echo $?
--
D/\N
Nighthawkz

Post by Nighthawkz »

I get a correct response if run as root:

Controller Index  Alert_Type       Message                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Status           Date_Created             Object_Name                                                      Category         Count  Acknowledged Date_Cleared             Reference_Number
---------- ------ ---------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------- ------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------- ------ ------------ ------------------------ ------------------------
77842      1      Alert            Local ISCSI Port 0000000000000000 is Down 
NOTE i had to leave echo $? off. didn't like it kept telling me "Error parsing options:"

If i run as nagios i get the same response expect with an error at the end :

Successfully finished running Compellent Command Utility (CompCU) application.
Error setting up log file null: File already exists and cant delete it (is it in use?)
Exception saving output file [cu_output.xml]: java.io.FileNotFoundException: cu_output.xml (Permission denied)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: cu_output.xml (Permission denied)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:204)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:94)
        at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(FileWriter.java:57)
        at com.compellent.cli.StorageCenterCLIMain.main(Unknown Source)