To Nagios 4 from Naios 3

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
punkoivan

To Nagios 4 from Naios 3

Post by punkoivan »

Hello all, we have next task:
Now our env is monitored by Nagios core 3, we would like to switch a part of host to Nagios 4 (~700 hosts, 8k services).

Our current installation deals with Nagios master with passive check model and a few pollers with NSCA installed.

I am curious is it possible not to update NSCA and use both for Nagios3 and Nagios4 masters?

And also, could you please verify hardware requirements for this size of instance?

4vCPU, 150Gb storage, 16Gb RAM.

Livestatus with Thruk as UI.

Thanks in advance,
Ivan
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: To Nagios 4 from Naios 3

Post by scottwilkerson »

punkoivan wrote:we would like to switch a part of host to Nagios 4 (~700 hosts, 8k services).
punkoivan wrote:I am curious is it possible not to update NSCA and use both for Nagios3 and Nagios4 masters?
This is not a problem at all, NSCA is completely independent of Nagios.
punkoivan wrote:And also, could you please verify hardware requirements for this size of instance?

4vCPU, 150Gb storage, 16Gb RAM.
This should be more than plenty of resources for the above amount of hosts/services
punkoivan wrote:Livestatus with Thruk as UI.
I am not familiar with how these will impact performance as they are not our addons.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
punkoivan

Post by punkoivan »

Thanks for your answer!
This is not a problem at all, NSCA is completely independent of Nagios.
Cool, looks like we have minus one problem :)
This should be more than plenty of resources for the above amount of hosts/services
Okay, could you please share your experience about VM or BM?

The main Nagios now is installed on Bare Metal servers with 96Gb RAM, it serves 300k+ services and 35k+ hosts. All of them are going to be migrated in the future to new instance.

Will VM work or it should be better to use Bare metal server from very start?

Sorry for the dumb questions, very appreciate you answers.

Ivan
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

punkoivan wrote:Okay, could you please share your experience about VM or BM?

The main Nagios now is installed on Bare Metal servers with 96Gb RAM, it serves 300k+ services and 35k+ hosts. All of them are going to be migrated in the future to new instance.

Will VM work or it should be better to use Bare metal server from very start?

Sorry for the dumb questions, very appreciate you answers.

Ivan
I think both are fine solutions as long as the hardware on the VM isn't being overutilized by other VM's sharing the equipment. In every case I have seen fast disk playing a critical role in good performance, and in a VM environment, I would consider dedicated disks, preferably an array of SSDs.

One thing to note, you are going to see a pretty significant improvement in resource utilization from your Core 3 systems as Core 4 is much more efficient.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com