display alias on web interface

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
aristosv

display alias on web interface

Post by aristosv »

Is it possible to show a host's alias on the web interface of nagios core?

Currently under hosts/services/hostgroups, only the hostname is displayed. I'm monitoring servers in 45 different locations though and I would like to see a bit more descriptive name for each server.

thanks
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: display alias on web interface

Post by scottwilkerson »

This is not available in Nagios Core without modifying the source code, but this is an available feature in Nagios XI
https://www.nagios.com/products/nagios-xi/
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
aristosv

Post by aristosv »

Would it be safe to assume that since this a paid feature, it will never be coded into nagios core? Or that it will be difficult to get help in modifying the code, because why would someone help me have this feature for free?

I chose nagios because everywhere I read, it was considered one of the oldest and more advanced monitoring tools. But your reply made me realize that I might actually be missing on basic features, because I am using the core version.

I realize money needs to be made, in order for code to be written. That's just business. But displaying the alias of the server on the web interface sounds like such a trivial feature, especially for a piece of software capable of monitoring thousands of servers.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

It certainly could be requested to be added and if there was enough support for the feature it may be added.
https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/nagioscore

Nagios Core is a community project and it can be customized to suit your needs, additionally, you can contribute a pull request containing the code for the feature you would like to see and it may get included.

My mention of the feature being in Nagios XI was merely there to inform you that it already exists there but is accomplished in a way that cannot be backported into Core. Nagios XI uses a completely different interface.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com