Nagios Core 3.5.1 to 4.3.4. Upgrade

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mtripodi

Re: Nagios Core 3.5.1 to 4.3.4. Upgrade

Post by mtripodi »

Ok in that case, can you please suggest where to include these definitions for the images to appear. Can they be part of the host or hostgroup definitions or do they have to be separate config files on there own?

Also, what config file needs editing to setup ldap authentication so that the new Nagios server is pointing to our domain?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

mtripodi wrote:Ok in that case, can you please suggest where to include these definitions for the images to appear. Can they be part of the host or hostgroup definitions or do they have to be separate config files on there own?
They would be part of the host.
mtripodi wrote: Also, what config file needs editing to setup ldap authentication so that the new Nagios server is pointing to our domain?
We have not published any documentation on connecting Nagios Core to LDAP, only for Nagios XI using the builtin integration.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

Ok I will move those extinfo definitions to the host files and see if that renders the images.
I will figure out how to enable the ldap authentication but right now i'm thinking it will not talk to our domain if currently on a private guest network.

Right now i'm seeing the following errors in my web console which tells me our servers are not yet configured to communicate with this new Nagios server, only ping is working.

(No output on stdout) stderr: execvp(/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe, ...) failed. errno is 2: No such file or directory
check_http: Invalid option - SSL is not available
check_ping: Invalid hostname/address - kobo-fs2.kobo.corp
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

did you have openssl and openssl-devel installed on the server when you compiled the plugins?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

I'm not sure so I went ahead and followed the prerequisite and install steps then installed the Nagios plugins again here: https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.p ... =58#CentOS

Restarted the Nagios service but there appears to be no change. Showing this same error:
(No output on stdout) stderr: execvp(/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe, ...) failed. errno is 2: No such file or directory

I'm also seeing this error:
check_http: Invalid option - SSL is not available

Anything else I can verify or run on the test server that I may have missed?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

you also need all these

Code: Select all

yum install -y gcc glibc glibc-common make gettext automake autoconf wget openssl-devel net-snmp net-snmp-utils epel-release
yum install -y perl-Net-SNMP
and then re-compile
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

I ran both of those commands yesterday then restarted the Nagios service.
What do you mean by "re-compile"? Please confirm for me how to do this. Thanks.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

re-run the commands in this document

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.p ... =58#CentOS
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

All the commands or just from the "Compile" section? This is to install Nagios 4.4.1 core which I have already done.
Which commands specifically?
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

I was able to successfully re-compile and installed NRPE plugin which I realized I did not have. The errors have changed, however I am still receiving some of these errors still:

I believe the remaining errors are mostly due to the fact that this new Nagios server is not configured to run the particular service checks I have configured yet. I will sort that out once it's been moved into our production environment.

In the meantime, can you please look at the remaining errors in my attached screenshot and let me know if anything stands out. Perhaps I missed other installs/config. Thanks.
Attachments
host errors.png