Nagios Core 3.5.1 to 4.3.4. Upgrade

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
mtripodi

Re: Nagios Core 3.5.1 to 4.3.4. Upgrade

Post by mtripodi »

That's unfortunate for me. I have always struggled with managing this existing installation once I took it over. Didn't realize I would get screwed out of the upgrade process in turn.

Can we please layout the options I have for myself going forward from your best recommendations? As I understand it there are as follows:

1. Continue copying over my existing config to 4.3.4 directories, test config and fix errors then remove old directories.
2. Blow away current 3.5.1. installation and install either Core 4.3.4 fresh or Nagios XI and config all hosts/services again from scratch.

Are there other options i'm missing? What's your best recommendation? I'm interested in installing Nagios XI in a Windows Hyper-V environment. Is there a cost associated with this?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

This sounds about right, but with Nagios XI our Config Prep tool would allow you to run ll the configs through it and then import them.
mtripodi wrote:I'm interested in installing Nagios XI in a Windows Hyper-V environment. Is there a cost associated with this?
No extra cost for installing in a Hyper-V environment.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

Ok thanks Scott. I appreciate all the assistance thus far.
Do you recommend going the Nagios XI route and importing all my existing configuration from current 3.5.1 installation? How easy is that to accomplish? What is recommended environment to install Nagios XI in?

Do you have a couple links you can provide to assist in getting me started?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I would recommend XI, it is much easier to use and full featured.

Currently XI runs on RHEL or CentOS, and you can download it here
https://www.nagios.com/downloads/nagios-xi/

Here is a beginning doc on importing configs from core.
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=206

you will need to import both the configs from /etc/nagios3 and /usr/local/lib/nagios3 and any others linked in your nagios.cfg of the core install
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

Ok great! I am interested in proceeding with the Nagios XI installation. In the past, I assumed there was a cost associated since it has full features.
I understand it currently runs on a Red Hat Linux. However, comes prepackaged to install on a VM in a WIndows environment, correct? I prefer this method of installation. Can begin by spinning up a test VM, put Nagios XI on it then play around, importing our existing configuration.

Is there full technical support provided for Nagios XI or do we require a service contract?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

You are correctyou can download as a pre-configured VM. Product details and pricing is here
https://www.nagios.com/products/nagios-xi/

Trial is fully functional for 60 days and that can become your production server if you wish.

During your trial you can get support on the forum like now. After you purchase you get expedited forum support as well as the ability to open trouble tickets for even faster response.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

Ok so there is a cost associated with Nagios XI if configuring more than 7 hosts/devices/systems. Between the Standard and Enteprise editions I think the Standard license should suffice.

It mentions for Enterprise license, an annual renewal fee is required. Is this the same case with the Standard Edition license if we were to purchase it? Please direct me to a Nagios sales rep if possible in case we have further questions regarding pricing.

Thanks Scott!
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@mtripodi, You are not required to extend a regular license. However, the extended license enables updates for your system as well as access to customer support tickets. You can reach the sales department over email: sales@nagios.com or over the phone 1-888-NAGIOS-1.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

Thanks, i'm going to hold off on Nagios XI for now as we have more than 7 systems to monitor and don't want to pay if not needed. I would like to install Nagios Core 4.3.4 on a new VM to test migrating our existing configuration to it.

Is there a recommended OS to install on it? E.g. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Raspbian, or one of the other LInux operating systems? Anything else I need to know? I'm following this documentation: https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... tml#Ubuntu
npolovenko
Support Tech

Post by npolovenko »

@mtripodi, Sure. All the OS in the article are "supported". However, if you could choose any OS i'd go with CentOS.
My recommendation is to make a snapshot of your VM after you install Nagios Core but before you start importing configurations.
So that if something goes wrong you can easily revert back and not having to reinstall Nagios all over.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.