Nagios Core 3.5.1 to 4.3.4. Upgrade

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Nagios Core 3.5.1 to 4.3.4. Upgrade

Post by scottwilkerson »

This looks correct.
One thing I cannot be certain of is if there are multiple KoboFS2.kobo.corp definitions, also

Code: Select all

grep -R KoboFS2.kobo.corp /usr/local/nagios/etc/
grep -R linux-servers /usr/local/nagios/etc/
also

grep -R generic-host /usr/local/nagios/etc/|grep -v use
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

Ok then i'm out of ideas. The obvious issue is that my host definitions are not seeing both the generic-host and generic-service templates which contain the max_check_attempts value. I have no idea why! Confirmed Nagios is looking at this directory: /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/templates

I have attached screenshots of the output from the commands you suggested. Looks like generic-host template is only associated with 2 directories, the original templates.cfg I renamed to templates.cfg.default so Nagios would not look at it and only look at the above (my directory).

I'm not sure why it's complaining when everything is there and defined. I need to proceed with my testing ASAP.
Attachments
KoboFS2.kobo.corp.png
linux-servers.png
generic-host.png
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

If you want to zip up your whole /usr/local/nagios/etc directory and PM it to me I am willing to test veritying the config on my system
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

Sure, see attached zip file of my /etc directory. To note, I ended up manually adding the max_check_attempts value to each host definition. Didn't take that long just tedious as hell.
Still experiencing error " could not add object property" for hostgroups.cfg file. Please help with that.
Attachments
etc.7z
(38.6 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

remove this from /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/localhost.cfg

# Define an optional hostgroup for Linux machines

define hostgroup {

hostgroup_name          linux-servers           ; The name of the hostgroup
    alias                   Linux Servers           ; Long name of the group
    members                 localhost               ; Comma separated list of hosts that belong to this group
}
also, these commands are duplicated in commands.cfg, so

rm -f /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/commands/command_notify.cfg
In nagios.cfg comment out these lines

cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/templates/generic-host.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/templates/generic-service.cfg
to

#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/templates/generic-host.cfg
#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/templates/generic-service.cfg
because you are already loading them in this directive

cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/templates
Then this definition in /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/services/services.cfg has no hosts assigned so it needs to be removed

#Special check for Content Ops Volume Reporting. This checks a scheduled task running on Kobofs1 once a day, starting at 9:10AM, for 10 minutes. 
#If, at any time during that 10 minute window, the scheduled task completes with an error code other than 0, the Content OPS team is notified. 
define service {
	service_description		New Volume Report Scheduled Task
	use				generic-service
	#Conent Ops only needs this service to check once a day, just after the scheduled task is configured to run on kobofs1
	check_period                    9_10AM_for_10_min 
	#Since we will only have a 10 minute window to test this service each day, we will test the service more rapidly than normal. 
	check_interval           	2
	#Since this check will only run once a day, and since fixing the root cause does not clear the alert in nagios until the next day, we dont report recovery. 
	notification_options		w,u,c
	contact_groups			contentoperations,admins
#	hostgroup_name			content_ops_scheduled_tasks
	check_command			check_nrpe!CheckTaskSched!"filter=title eq 'new volume report' AND exit_code ne 0" "syntax='%title%': Task completed with Exit Code %exit_code%. Please check the VolumeReports on TS3!" MaxCrit=1
}
Add something this to /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/commands.cfg

define command {
    command_name    check_nrpe
    command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -t 30 -c $ARG1$ $ARG2$
}
You will need to repead this for all your other missing commands like
snmp_windows_dhcp_avalaible_addresses
check_netapp_vol_cap
check_nrpe_1arg
etc...
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

I made all the changes you suggested, except adding the additional commands. Just added the one you specified in commands.cfg.
I then ran the config test after making all the changes and now see 28 errors! Most appear to be missing service check commands and a host check command. I'm unable to see all the errors as I can't scroll up the window further or export.

I'm not sure what change caused all these errors but we seem to have backtracked instead of making progress :(
Please HELP! I have attached a screenshot.
Attachments
errors.png
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

Please assist with suggestions on how to correct the configuration and what we did to cause these errors. I had one error now have 28 after performing those changes you mentioned. Please help!
jomann
Development Lead

Post by jomann »

It looks like pretty much all of the errors you have now come from missing commands. Do you have a commands.cfg file with all those commands in it that you can copy those commands out of into your new one? If you copy the ones you can see now, you can then see the rest of the output.

You can also scroll over that by doing this after you run the Nagios Core config verification:

| less
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
mtripodi

Post by mtripodi »

I was able to locate the missing commands it was asking for and copy them over to the test server. I currently have zero warnings and errors!
There are couple things left such as, LDAP authentication setup, email (postfix). It did give me an errors for the following configuration file advising "Extinfo definitions will no longer be defined this way in future versions". I"m assuming this will continue to function the way I have it configured for now, however are showing up but not rendering in the web console. See 2 attachments.
Any suggestions where to put this configuration instead of a separate file?
Attachments
extinfo for images in web console.png
Nagios web console.png
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

The Extinfo files are no longer used in Core 4+
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com