monitoring routers and switches

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

monitoring routers and switches

Postby kazishe » Sat May 12, 2018 11:52 am

Hello all.

Hope you can help me here. I am trying to monitor several routers and switches. I have just installed Nagios Core 4.3.4 which is working perfectly, and have followed the guide on https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... uters.html and yet this looks like it is for monitoring one switch or router. I have tried adding a new line for a new device and get errors there, so I am wondering if I am supposed to add all the routers and switches in the switch.cfg?

Thank you for your help.
kazishe

Re: monitoring routers and switches

Postby scottwilkerson » Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 pm

This whole document is an example for 1 switch, and the configurations for it.

You would need to basically create a new version changing all the host names and everything, for each switch and for example, place them in a file called switch2.cfg where you would then add that line to your nagios.cfg

Code: Select all
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/switch2.cfg

Then restart nagios.

additionally, this assumes you are monitoring each of these switches with MRTG already.

If you were using Nagios XI, it becomes MUCH easier, you just run a quick wizard

Here's a video
https://www.nagios.com/videos/?video=iFNij0mkwm8#iFNij0mkwm8
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Return to Nagios Core