Monitor services on remote linux host

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Monitor services on remote linux host

Postby Ravikimt » Thu May 17, 2018 6:40 am

I am using nagios core 4.3.4 on my ubuntu machine (16.04 LTS). I have to monitor a host which is in remote location that is also linux machine (Ubuntu). I have installed nrpe on my remote host and I am able to monitoring some services of the host like root partition, swap memory, ping.

But my requirement is that I have to monitor other process also on the host machine like python, mysql , node.js also.

Can somebody help me here how I can monitor these process also.? and Is it mandatory to install nrpe plugin on my nagios server also.?
Because I didn't install nrpe plugin on my nagios server I have already install nagios-plugins-2.2.1 pulgin on my nagios server.
Last edited by Ravikimt on Thu May 17, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravikimt

Re: Monitor services on remote linux host

Postby Ravikimt » Thu May 17, 2018 6:57 am

To monitor mysql service I am using below mentioned command can you please verify whether is it correct or not.?

define service {
use local-service
host_name Sales-Demo
service_description MYSQL
check_command check_tcp!3306
contact_groups IBM-Nagios
notification_options w,u,c,r
notification_interval 10
notification_period 24x7
}

define command{
command_name check_tcp
command_line $USER1$/check_tcp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p $ARG1$ $ARG2$
}
Ravikimt

Postby Ravikimt » Fri May 18, 2018 8:13 am

Any suggestion on that waiting for your response. Please help me
Ravikimt

Postby kyang » Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 pm

But my requirement is that I have to monitor other process also on the host machine like python, mysql , node.js also.

Can somebody help me here how I can monitor these process also.? and Is it mandatory to install nrpe plugin on my nagios server also.?
Because I didn't install nrpe plugin on my nagios server I have already install nagios-plugins-2.2.1 pulgin on my nagios server.

Let's back up a moment, what version of NRPE did you install and what documentation did you follow?

So you don't have nagios plugins installed on the nagios server?

Are you able to successfully contact the remote ubuntu service that has NRPE installed?

From Nagios terminal: (Make sure to replace remotehostIP with your actual remote host IP)
Code: Select all
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H remotehostIP
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
kyang
Support Tech

Postby Ravikimt » Sun May 20, 2018 5:43 am

Yes, Now I have installed Ngaios plugin NRPE v3.2.1 on my remote machine as well as my Nagios server also.

After running this command /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H remotehostIP.

I am getting this error when I am trying from my Remote host to Nagios server.

CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not connect to 10.10.XX.XX: Connection reset by peer.

Nagios Server to Remote Host.

connect to host 10.10.xx.xx port 5666: Connection refused
Ravikimt

Return to Nagios Core