Nagios Core version 4.3.4 on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04-BuildError

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Khooji

Nagios Core version 4.3.4 on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04-BuildError

Post by Khooji »

Hey guys,

I am new to Nagios and generally to Ubuntu and also network management so there is a lot for me to digest lol.

I am trying to build Nagios core version 4.3.4 from source on Ubuntu Desktop version 18.04. I am following the below link:

https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... gJzwvD_BwE

However, I keep getting a lot of errors during installation. I found out the name of the packages are not quite right. Is it because I am using a newer version of Ubuntu? Should I try Ubuntu 17 instead of 18?

For example I am getting the below error while installing now while running the following command:

sudo apt-get install -y autoconf gcc libc6 make wget unzip apache2 php libapache2-mod-php7.0 libgd2-xpm-dev

Error --> Unable to locate libgd2-xmp-dev package. Could you please shed some lights on this? As I am new to Linux world as well I'd appreciate
the granularity in the response.

Thanks in advance,
mcapra

Re: Nagios Core version 4.3.4 on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04-BuildE

Post by mcapra »

libgd-dev appears to be the equivalent package in bionic (the docs you referenced haven't been updated for bionic yet), but I don't have an Ubuntu 18 machine to test against currently so I cannot verify that.

Give this a shot:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -y autoconf gcc libc6 make wget unzip apache2 php libapache2-mod-php7.0 libgd-dev
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
Khooji

Post by Khooji »

Thanks for your reply. It probably had to do with my Linux version being newer (2018) than my Nagios source code (2017). I have just finished building the source code on Linux 14.04 successfully and now can monitor my server.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Khooji wrote:Thanks for your reply. It probably had to do with my Linux version being newer (2018) than my Nagios source code (2017). I have just finished building the source code on Linux 14.04 successfully and now can monitor my server.
excellent, glad it is working
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com