Plugin to monitor files consistency

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jkinning

Plugin to monitor files consistency

Post by jkinning »

I have looked high and low but have not found anything to work so looking for some other suggestions. I have been tasked with monitoring files to ensure they are the same on remote hosts. These are using Windows DFS but apparently one of the files became incorrect. Is there a way to monitor one file and ensure the file on the other 2 servers are the same? I was looking at check_file_md5 but this appears to be a local command and not sure how to use this with check_nrpe. My Nagios instance is running on CentOS 7 and the remote servers are Windows 2012R2 servers. We have a process in place where the one server file is the only one to get updated so that was going to be my known good. Trying to figure out how to take my known good and validate the other 2 files are the same and if not send out an alert.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Plugin to monitor files consistency

Post by scottwilkerson »

I don't know of anything already made that can do this on Windows so you are going to likely have to write your own plugin

I did see this
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... for-a-file

With this utility you should be able to get a checksum for the files at each location and compare them (you obviously would need access to both of the DFS locations where you place the plugin you create.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com