webpage to submit monitoring items

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jkinning

webpage to submit monitoring items

Post by jkinning »

I was curious if anyone is already doing this that would care to share their code. I am trying to create a webpage that users can access to submit additional items to have monitored. Items like services running, processes running, website is up, etc that user can access and submit their request. It would be great if the webpage could automatically submit the request into Nagios but I am trying to take baby steps and improve my current process which is a phone call or email with not enough relevant information.

I was thinking a web form with the following:
Hostname needing additional monitoring:
Process or Service Name:
Content to look for on website:
Additional information:
Who to notify for critical alerts:

I am guessing this could live on the same server as the one running Nagios. Is anyone doing something similar today?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: webpage to submit monitoring items

Post by scottwilkerson »

Interesting idea.

I would be very careful on the automating of this as users not familiar with nagios could easily enter data in the fields of the form that could break the nagios config if not validated properly.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
jkinning

Post by jkinning »

Ok, maybe not fully automated. :D

The form is filled out and then sent to an admin for review to make sure everything lines up correctly. The admin makes the necessary changes and click submit.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

That sounds better, I don't know of an existing solution, but I'm sure one could be created to do what you mention.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com