Thousands of notifications sent when computer restarted

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
blake.mckeeby

Thousands of notifications sent when computer restarted

Post by blake.mckeeby »

Hi,
I am running nagios on a spare desktop that I have. It is monitoring about 11 hosts and everything is working well except when I restart the computer....

When I restart the computer (running Fedora OS), if I don't log back in immediately it seems that Nagios determines it cant reach any of the hosts so it attempts to start sending notifications. I have sendmail setup to relay all email to another mail server that I have and for some reason it doesn't deliver any of these emails that nagios is creating till i actually login into account after restarting the machine.

The end result is that by the time i login there can be thousands of emails in /var/spool/clientmqueue which immediately start being sent when I login... and thus those configured to be notified receive thousands of emails.

What I would like is for Nagios and sendmail to work properly even when someone has not logged in yet.

thanks,
Blake McKeeby
jimavery

Re: Thousands of notifications sent when computer restarted

Post by jimavery »

I'm not sure why Nagios would think it can't connect until you login. Is the system connected wirelessly or something?

As a simple kludge, you could set up a dummy host in Nagios which just checks whether your LAN is ready, and make that the parent of everything else. Nagios will then use the parent/child relationships only to send the one notification about your LAN rather than all your hosts.

Ideally, Nagios should run on a server which is always running.