check_log with options

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
CLee1972

check_log with options

Post by CLee1972 »

Hello,

I am looking for a check_log that has the option to allow for OK, Warn and Critical settings. So far the only check_log I have allows for Warn values but I really want something a little more flexible so my Nagios Core server will stop firing the alerts every time I get a blip in my logs. If someone can point me in the right direction with examples as well, that would be awesome.

Thanks.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: check_log with options

Post by scottwilkerson »

It really depends on what you are looking to accomplish, but this is probably the most common log file plugin for Nagios Core
https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... es/details

For a more full featured log monitoring platform please check out Nagios Log Server
https://www.nagios.com/products/nagios-log-server/
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
CLee1972

Post by CLee1972 »

Scott,

First off, thanks for the quick reply. Essentially, what I am looking for is this:

Example: I am using check_log to query on "503 - Server Not Found". The problem is, I can see this event happen in the log every now and then but there is a failover event that hits another server when this happens. What I would like Nagios Core to report on is this:

If you see <5 events in the log, consider this OK
If you see 5-15 events in the log, consider this a WARNING and fire an event
If you see >15 events in the log, consider this a CRITICAL and fire events.

Currently, check_log only has that ability to have -w which means anything above 0 but under the number after the -w is considered a WARNING until it hits that number then it is considered CRITICAL. I guess was I was looking for is an -o flag as well, so check_log <logfile><Oldlogfile> -q -o 4 -w 15 kind of thing.

I hope this makes sense.

Chris
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

you can do all of this with either options I suggested.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com