Nagios - Cgi.cfg Question

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Nagios - Cgi.cfg Question

Postby Pradeeps » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:43 am

Hello Folks,

I have installed Nagios Core - 4.2.4 with nagiosql-3.4.0. I have recently changed the apache authentication to ldap and it works fine. However, I was going though "cgi.cfg" file and I see "nagiosadmin" user has been mentioned for few authorization.

Code: Select all
authorized_for_system_information=nagiosadmin
authorized_for_configuration_information=nagiosadmin
authorized_for_system_commands=nagiosadmin
authorized_for_all_services=nagiosadmin
authorized_for_all_hosts=nagiosadmin
authorized_for_all_service_commands=nagiosadmin
authorized_for_all_host_commands=nagiosadmin

My question is, what exactly the purpose of "cgi.cfg" file and also since I am not using "nagiosadmin" user anymore, will it impact any functionality? Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Pradeeps

Re: Nagios - Cgi.cfg Question

Postby scottwilkerson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:08 pm

It gives you the ability to add special permissions for users to see/access hosts/services that they are not a contact for.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagioscore/docs/nagioscore/4/en/configcgi.html
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Postby Pradeeps » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Thanks for your response. May I know the purpose of the file? I dont see i am using it directly through nagiosql. So can I assume it is used in the background by nagios daemon?
Pradeeps

Postby scottwilkerson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:48 pm

Pradeeps wrote:Thanks for your response. May I know the purpose of the file? I dont see i am using it directly through nagiosql. So can I assume it is used in the background by nagios daemon?

It is used by the nagios CGI's when you access the web UI
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Postby Pradeeps » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Got it. Therefore the authorization will impact only if we use the nagios native GUI. I use thruk and I am already allowing necessary users in it.
Pradeeps

Postby scottwilkerson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Pradeeps wrote:Got it. Therefore the authorization will impact only if we use the nagios native GUI. I use thruk and I am already allowing necessary users in it.

That sounds correct, as long as your UI doesn't depend on the Nagios native CGI's they wouldn't have any impact.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Postby Pradeeps » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Great thank you.
Pradeeps

Postby scottwilkerson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Pradeeps wrote:Great thank you.

No Problem.

Locking thread
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Return to Nagios Core