Nagios Server Redundancy Design

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Nagios Server Redundancy Design

Postby gamal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:47 am

Dear All,

1- if we are going to Design Nagios Server with Redundancy,"Active-passive" Nagios servers,can you provide me with Docs for that ?

2- do we need centralized remote probes, to collect monitoring data and sent it to the Nagios server.

BR,
Gamal,
gamal

Re: Nagios Server Redundancy Design

Postby mcapra » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:31 am

gamal wrote:1- if we are going to Design Nagios Server with Redundancy,"Active-passive" Nagios servers,can you provide me with Docs for that ?

Not really -- those docs don't exist. Nagios XI has some limited high availability documentation:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

I've done hot/cold setups in my lab environment with Chef, the nagios cookbook, and some clever wrapper cookbooks. You could architect a similar system around foreman if you already had the config distribution figured out (via etcd perhaps?).

gamal wrote:2- do we need centralized remote probes, to collect monitoring data and sent it to the Nagios server.

You have the option to distribute your "probes" and collect them in a central Nagios Core location via passive checks.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, a "need" for such a setup would depend on the topology of the network on which the hosts reside more than anything. If your single Nagios Core server can reach all the hosts, it can execute active checks against those hosts directly and you can just as well centralize the probes.
Former Nagios employee
http://www.mcapra.com/
mcapra

Re: Nagios Server Redundancy Design

Postby cdienger » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks for the input, @mcapra!
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
cdienger
Support Tech

Return to Nagios Core