Can nagios.cfg use system variables?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
MarkCampbell

Can nagios.cfg use system variables?

Post by MarkCampbell »

Hello,

I have a bit of an unusual question. So I am putting together some Nagios servers, and they are going to be using version control to sync up the configs across multiple boxes. I am putting configs that I want to run on specific Nagios servers in a directory called /etc/nagios/<hostname>, where the hostname is the value you get when you run hostname on the server. In Nagios.cfg, I have a cfgdir definition set up for each server, with a script that runs and comments out all of the cfgdir entries except the one with the local host's hostname. This works ok, but is a bit messy for the version control aspect. It would be ideal if I could do something like cfgdir=/etc/nagios/$(hostname)/, because then I'd be able to just have 1 nagios.cfg config file to rule them all, and they'd get their appropriate directory dynamically when nagios daemon starts. But I haven't been able to figure out how to get nagios.cfg to recognize any system variables that could give me that. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could do this?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Can nagios.cfg use system variables?

Post by scottwilkerson »

You can't do that but you can set it to something like /etc/nagios/hosts and then place all of your host configs in that directory named something like <hostname>.cfg
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
MarkCampbell

Post by MarkCampbell »

I do use separate .cfg files for hosts being monitored, and I have them in separate directories, based on which server is monitoring them, like this:

/etc/nagios/nagios-main/backupserv.cfg
/etc/nagios/nagios-qingdao/qdad2.cfg

nagios-main has a cfgdir entry in nagios.cfg that points to only /etc/nagios/nagios-main, and nagios-qingdao has one that points only to /etc/nagios/nagios-qingdao. This way, backupserv is monitored only by nagios-main, and qdad2 is monitored only by nagios-qingdao.

I was just hoping that there would be a unified way to use the same nagios.cfg to allow each of these servers to be pointed only to their respective directory.
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

MarkCampbell wrote:I was just hoping that there would be a unified way to use the same nagios.cfg to allow each of these servers to be pointed only to their respective directory.
You could leverage something like Chef, Ansible, Salt, Puppet, or similar systems. At which point, "their respective directory" exists as an environment-level attribute that gets plugged into a more general nagios.cfg file.

Chef has a nagios cookbook that could accomplish this.
Last edited by mcapra on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

MarkCampbell wrote:I do use separate .cfg files for hosts being monitored, and I have them in separate directories, based on which server is monitoring them, like this:

/etc/nagios/nagios-main/backupserv.cfg
/etc/nagios/nagios-qingdao/qdad2.cfg

nagios-main has a cfgdir entry in nagios.cfg that points to only /etc/nagios/nagios-main, and nagios-qingdao has one that points only to /etc/nagios/nagios-qingdao. This way, backupserv is monitored only by nagios-main, and qdad2 is monitored only by nagios-qingdao.

I was just hoping that there would be a unified way to use the same nagios.cfg to allow each of these servers to be pointed only to their respective directory.
I don't know any way to accomplish it with that format
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com