CREATING A CLIENT PARTITION ON MY NAGIOS CORE

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
obsanu

CREATING A CLIENT PARTITION ON MY NAGIOS CORE

Post by obsanu »

Dear All,

I am pretty new to Nagios Core, so I have no idea how to do this. One of our clients requires access our Nagios Monitoring platform so we need to create a partition for them to access via the web and move all the required nodes they need to see into this partition. Is there any documentation we can access to assist us in doing this or are their any pointers, tips or direction anyone can provide us?

This would be a great help.

Cheers

Bola
mcapra

Re: CREATING A CLIENT PARTITION ON MY NAGIOS CORE

Post by mcapra »

I'll plug Nagios XI because it handles multi-tenancy in a much better way:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ios-XI.pdf

Here's how Nagios Core handles multi-tenancy:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... iauth.html

The cliff-notes:
Authenticated contacts* are granted the following permissions for each service for which they are contacts (but not for services for which they are not contacts)...
  • Authorization to view service status information
  • Authorization to view service configuration information
  • Authorization to view history and notifications for the service
  • Authorization to issue service commands
Authenticated contacts* are granted the following permissions for each host for which they are contacts (but not for hosts for which they are not contacts)...
  • Authorization to view host status information
  • Authorization to view host configuration information
  • Authorization to view history and notifications for the host
  • Authorization to issue host commands
  • Authorization to view status information for all services on the host
  • Authorization to view configuration information for all services on the host
  • Authorization to view history and notification information for all services on the host
  • Authorization to issue commands for all services on the host
Essentially, you can assign those tenants as contacts for specific services/hosts to grant them the ability to interact with the nodes they need. I believe permissions can be inherited via contactgroups as well, though it's probably better to handle this with a specific single service account (and associated contact) for each tenant -- easier to manage if there's no existing config management solution in place (like Chef).

Feel free to ask any questions if that documentation is unclear!
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: CREATING A CLIENT PARTITION ON MY NAGIOS CORE

Post by scottwilkerson »

mcapra has some good points. Now if your client needs to have complete segmentation, you would want to create a separate installation for them and migrate the configs for their hosts and services to the new installation.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com