Installation: chkconfig --add nagios does not work

An open discussion forum for obtaining help with Nagios Core. Nagios Core users of all experience levels are welcome here. Subforum have been created for the discussion of Nagios Core and Nagios Plugin development.

NOTE: The SourceForge.net mailing lists have been deprecated in favor of this forum in order to expedite support and provide additional features not available on the old mailing list.

Installation: chkconfig --add nagios does not work

Postby cranberryark » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 pm

I am new to Nagios and a beginner in general, please pardon me for any newbie questions or concepts that I am not getting right.

I am trying to install Nagios on an AWS instance (running Amazon Linux) to monitor another AWS instance (my school project running Amazon Linux, with Nginx web server and Python) by following this tutorial - https://sysadminxpert.com/step-by-step- ... zon-linux/ , however I am facing some issues.

1) I'm stuck at step 8 that is to "add Nagios to the list of system services and have it automatically start when the system boots".
When I run this line: sudo chkconfig --add nagios it outputs as: "error reading information on service nagios: No such file or directory". I checked /etc/init.d and I don't see Nagios anywhere in the folder. The sudo make install-init line from an earlier step creates a nagios.conf file in etc/init which I think doesnt work with chkconfig. What should I do to make the command work?

2) Is it possible to have Nagios server run on the same instance as the host(the other instance it is monitoring)?
cranberryark

Re: Installation: chkconfig --add nagios does not work

Postby scottwilkerson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm

This may not be available on your system version

I would highly recommend using the official install buide, for Amazon Linux I would recommend Following the CentOS instructions
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/nagios-core-installing-nagios-core-from-source-96.html
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Return to Nagios Core