Alarm for selected problem send from printer over SNMP

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
DHartmann

Alarm for selected problem send from printer over SNMP

Post by DHartmann »

Hello,
I am currently working on the capabilities of Nagios matching the requirements of my company.

I´m looking for the capability of Nagios Core to select those messages of a printer (who sends it by SNMP) I like to. For example I want to get a alarm for all errors except those who include a toner/ink-message or a paper-empty-message.
I only found plugins who give me all the messages without selecting anything, but I can´t find if it´s possible to get a alarm for only a few of the messages.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Dhartmann
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Alarm for selected problem send from printer over SNMP

Post by scottwilkerson »

Is you printer sending SNMP traps?

Really it is going to depend on your printer of what can be polled via SNMP.

We do have a Printers section in the Nagios Exchange that has several plugins
https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... e/Printers
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
DHartmann

Post by DHartmann »

Yes, they do. I´ve found these plugins allready.
If I would have added one of these plugins, I would get all kinds of messages. That´s what I want, but I also want to get a alarm for preselected error-messages.
Is there the possiblility to do that or can I set only a alarm for all incoming messages?

I know my printers can send messages like paper empty or toner/ink empty, but I don´t want to get a alarm for them.
DHartmann

Post by DHartmann »

Yes, they do.
I´ve already found this page and a suitable plugin, but if I would create a alarm for a printer I would get a alarm also for paper emtpy or toner/ink empty. Is it possible to preselect error-messages who should trigger a alarm?

I´ve found a video on the Nagios youtube channel about SNMP traps. If I create a trap for all possibilities my printers are capable to, I could set a alarm for those traps I want. This would take a lot of time and effort. Is there an other possibility?
I also don´t want to limit my printers in their messages, because I want to get all informations for service requests.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

DHartmann wrote:Is it possible to preselect error-messages who should trigger a alarm?
You would need to configure something to receive the traps and then select which traps get sent to Nagios.

A common method to do this would be SNMPTT and then create custom items per OID that you want to send notifications to Nagios, leaving the other items undefined and then they would not send notifications.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
DHartmann

Post by DHartmann »

The problem is that I want to get all the messages, but I don´t want to get a alarm for all of them.

Otherwise I would have to create every device twice. One for checking the status and another for the alarm.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

DHartmann wrote:The problem is that I want to get all the messages, but I don´t want to get a alarm for all of them.

Otherwise I would have to create every device twice. One for checking the status and another for the alarm.
this is why you would need to only configure the items you want to be notified for in the SNMPTT configurations. You specify what OID's you want to send the traps to your Nagios server.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
DHartmann

Post by DHartmann »

I think we talk past each other. If I would do it that way, I wouldn´t be able to get all the messages displayed in Nagios.
I want to be able to view all status messages such as paper or ink in nagios, but i only want to recieve alerts (for example on a dashboard or via mail) for certain kinds of errors (e.g. printring error, paper jam). I dont want to prehandle / discard any messages before sending them to nagios (nagios should be able to view all incoming messages). I want to create a list of messages which should cause alerts.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Maybe it would help if you shared your current setup.

Generally if you set it up how I suggested you can send some of the traps to one service, and other traps to another service. then you can choose which service you want to receive notifications on.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
DHartmann

Post by DHartmann »

scottwilkerson wrote:Maybe it would help if you shared your current setup.
There is no current setup. I´m currently checking whether Nagios meets our requirements or not.
scottwilkerson wrote:Generally if you set it up how I suggested you can send some of the traps to one service, and other traps to another service. then you can choose which service you want to receive notifications on.
But this is what I wanted to know, thank you :)