What are some good GUI based editors for Nagios?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kelemvor

What are some good GUI based editors for Nagios?

Post by kelemvor »

Howdy,

We have Nagios Core 4.3.2 and no one likes having to go edit the config files manually any time we want to change something. Some people want to completely replace Nagios with something else but I want to see if we can just make our current Nagios easier to use so we don't have to start over.

I've heard something about nconf but see that it's no longer under development so I'm hoping someone can recommend a different tool.

The main feature we want is the ability to add new servers, remove old servers, or change settings profiles for existing servers from within the Nagios GUI and not have to go out and edit the files manually.

Let me know if you have any recommendations.

Thanks!!

Re: What are some good GUI based editors for Nagios?

Post by 455157 »

NagiosQL is a popular project for this:

https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/A ... QL/details

If you're looking for a fully supported commercial option, Nagios XI includes the Core Config Manager, very advanced config management GUI. It also has monitoring wizards for step-by-step setup of common objects, and many other features.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Thanks @455157!

Yes, Nagios XI comes with pre-built setup wizards and an integrated web-based configuration interface. We offer a free quick start to help new users get up and running.

For more information on Nagios XI, please visit the product page:
https://www.nagios.com/products/nagios-xi/

Let me know if you have any other questions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

Nagios XI is by far the most feature-rich one.

In the "more free" space, NagiosQL and NConf are the 2 big ones. Both of which could definitely use some more maintainers :) which is the story for most free front-ends for Nagios Core.

I've not used Lilac, but it looks basically OK.

I prefer Chef and the Nagios cookbook. Less graphical, but JSON is prettier to look at and there's boatloads of great general-purpose editors (like vscode) with good graphical JSON solutions. Ansible, Puppet, Salt, and other such automation solutions are a great way to manage your config files.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Thanks @mcapra for the helpful suggestions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!