NSCA 2.9 client problem

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
lhozzan

NSCA 2.9 client problem

Post by lhozzan »

Hello.

I would like to ask you to support with upgrade. Our installation default use NSCA (server & clients) v 2.7, but this version is missing on newer CentOS7. Here is only NSCA server v 2.9.

So, after upgrade to our monitoring server (CentOS6 -> CentOS7, NSCA 2.7 -> NSCA 2.9) everything works fine with NSCA clients v2.7.

But, when i want upgrade NSCA clients from v 2.7 to 2.9, many of connections on state CLOSE-WAIT rising on Nagios server machine (see screenshot). This upgrade i do only on one server! If i do it on few servers, rising much faster. It seems, that there is a bug, where many of connections are created, but only few closed.

In fact, i am facing with problem, when NSCA server and NSCA client is on same version and dont working as i expected.

Have you any idea with possible problem? Thank you for your effort.
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
cdienger
Support Tech

Re: NSCA 2.9 client problem

Post by cdienger »

Are these both 2.9.2? I've yet to reproduce it yet, but would like you to run the following on the XI side while data is sent from the nsca client:

strace -pPID

where PID is the pid associated with the process opening port 5667. You can find this with:

netstat -nap | grep 5667
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
lhozzan

Post by lhozzan »

Are these both 2.9.2? I've yet to reproduce it yet, but would like you to run the following on the XI side while data is sent from the nsca client:
Yes, this problem occured only when NSCA server v2.9 recieve notification from NSCA client v2.9.
Actually we running with NSCA server v2.9 and NSCA clients v2.7 (on CentOS7 we install it from epel6 repository, i am sure, that this isnt good way).

I let wrote this traces to files, because we have large instalation and only minutes cost few MB logs. Share it for you in my GoogleDrive. For compare i catch correct behavior from 2.7 clients (strace_nsca27.log) and next upgrade one client to v2.9 (strace_nsca29.log). After this i must downgrade it back to v2.7.

Thank you for your effort.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

What was the IP of the sending client? It would probably be a good idea to get a tcpdump from both the server and client as well while try to send data from the client.

Code: Select all

yum -y install tcpdump
tcpdump -s 0 -i any port 5667 -w output.pcap
Start a tcpdump on both machines, run the send_nsca command, then use CTRL+C to stop it and provide the pcap files from both machines.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
lhozzan

Post by lhozzan »

Hello.
Server IP is 45.33.80.18 and client IP is 178.79.165.168. Add requested files to my GoogleDrive.
Is there anything else, what can i do for you? Where do you assume the problem?

EDIT:
This i spot in server syslog:

Mar 24 20:49:07 localhost nsca[13344]: Network server accept failure (24: Too many open files)
Yes, NSCA stop accepting notifications from clients and Nagios sent us huge amount of alert messages. After restart NSCA looks OK.
I spot this problem on testing environment, where default file descriptors was 1024. In production we have rised this value to 2048. It seems, that isnt enought. Rising again to 4096, hope that help.

Why NSCA server v2.9 open too many files?
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Why NSCA server v2.9 open too many files?
I'm not sure at this point. Please keep an eye on the system though and let us know if you need to increase it further.
lhozzan

Post by lhozzan »

Hello.
Please keep an eye on the system though and let us know if you need to increase it further.
OK, we have agreed.

Have you idea, why NSCA client v2.9 rising many of connections on state CLOSE-WAIT? Or have you estimated time of solution? Need any information from our side? Is anything you need from our side to fastering solution?

cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

I was able to get similar results if a host makes a lot of connections. To work around it I increased the per_host option in the /etc/xinetd.d/nsca:

service nsca
{
        per_source      = 999
        flags           = REUSE
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = nagios
        group           = nagios
        server          = /usr/local/nagios/bin/nsca
        server_args     = -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nsca.cfg --inetd
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable         = no
        only_from       = 192.168.55.4
}
Make sure to restart xinetd after making the change:

service xinetd restart
lhozzan

Post by lhozzan »

Hello.

Thank you for workaround. We have implemented NSCA as a standalone service, not a part of xinetd.

OK, i attempt to do this and let you know later.

Many thanks for your support.
cdienger
Support Tech

Post by cdienger »

Sounds good. Keep us posted!