Monitor 40.000 hosts

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
rw_

Monitor 40.000 hosts

Post by rw_ »

Hi,

we want to monitor 40.000 hosts (routers/switches) via snmp, 5, 6 checks per host (=200.000 services to check)...
Proffesional solutions, like IBM ITM for sure can handle that task, but I wonder if Nagios (core + DNX) could to?... What do you think?
What is largest Nagios installation you ever meet?
jsmurphy

Re: Monitor 40.000 hosts

Post by jsmurphy »

The largest installation I've worked on is my current one of only ~7,000 hosts on Nagios XI (Replacing IBM as well actually) though I know there are much larger out there... the biggest I have heard of is a Nagios Core install running ~18,000 hosts with I think 2 or 3 servers and DNX. Would it scale that far? I have no idea... but it would be awesome to find out!
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Daniel Wittenberg I believe would say yes...

See the Nagios World Conference Presentations Scaling Nagios At A Giant Insurance Company where he goes over the steps they took to scale Nagios to 1.4 million service checks...

For whatever reason the first slide doesn't load but the rest are there..
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

I've also heard of an install with over 3 million services. They didn't use the front-end at all because it was just too much data, but they used the monitoring engine underneath and forwarded information up to their own in-house visualization for the data.