Check service status with disable host

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
schakal

Check service status with disable host

Post by schakal »

Hi

At first I'm sorry for my language - it is not perfect :)

I'm trying to configure Nagios for monitoring ca 50 printers (counters, errors, consumables, etc).
It is work but...
If user turn off printer I have only status "External command error: Timeout: No Response from x.x.x.x:161. "
I want to see last readed status.
Host can be (it will be good) active / disactive but services need to see at OK.
I was try to change timeouts, passive mode, timeout state - and nothing.
When I change timeout time I have a status ok but info "timeout".
Is there a possibility to change status of service (or not) but status information not if host/service is not active?

Thank you
Regards
Robert
benjaminsmith

Re: Check service status with disable host

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi @Robert,

So you have a printer (i.e. host) and related service checks (counters, errors, consumables,etc), and if the host is off (i.e. down state) and you're running Nagios Core 4.1 or higher, it's possible to disable those service checks when the printer is powered down by setting the following option in the main configuration file.

Define in /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg:

Code: Select all

host_down_disable_service_checks=1
Nagios will need to continue with host checks and the host status will be down until it comes back online.

Please let me know if this answers you're question or not.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!