Fixing Retention.dat when Last State Change is in the Future

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ooglek

Fixing Retention.dat when Last State Change is in the Future

Post by ooglek »

I had a situation where the Last State Change value was something silly like 1/18/2039. Maybe I was mucking with the internal clock, who knows.

Whatever I did, Nagios did not like.

Hosts were being checked but their host up or down state changes would not trigger the correct actions. I believe this was because of the retention.dat holding the last state change as incorrect.

I found the file in the archives where I had mucked with the clock:

Code: Select all

[916955650] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: admin-email;web-server;Web;OK;notify-by-email;HTTP OK: HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 218 bytes in 0.251 second response time
[1548107486] Warning: A system time change of 631151828 seconds (7304d 23h 57m 8s forwards in time) has been detected.  Compensating...
So I went through the file and added exactly 631151828 seconds to each timestamp that started with "[91" -- just a quick vim macro.

I saved this and quit and replaced it and restarted nagios. But alas, I still had all that broken stuff. So I looked in retention.dat and found stuff like:

Code: Select all

last_check=2179253410
Well I didn't want to lose all my historical data, and there wasn't an easy documented way I could find to regenerate the retention.dat file using the data in the archives.

So using a bit of math, I found that if I subtracted 631151828 (the number of seconds my server had jumped ahead) from the values of "last_check" and "last_state_change" and "last_hard_state_change" values in retention.dat, they came out to be more sane.

Made a backup of the original and a newly generated retention.dat file, put the modified one in, et voila, things are working again!

Hope this will help someone else with a similar issue.
benjaminsmith

Re: Fixing Retention.dat when Last State Change is in the Fu

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi @ooglek
Hope this will help someone else with a similar issue.
Thanks for posting your solution to the forum!
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!