How to config plugin check_newest_file_age

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
welbp00

Re: How to config plugin check_newest_file_age

Post by welbp00 »

Still got a problem....

On the commandline the command works fine, but if i execute the command from the Nagios gui, i see this error in the secure.log:

May 15 15:26:43 on7p0041 sudo: pam_unix(sudo:auth): conversation failed
May 15 15:26:43 on7p0041 sudo: pam_unix(sudo:auth): auth could not identify password for [nrpe]
May 15 15:26:43 on7p0041 sudo: pam_sss(sudo:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=995 euid=0 tty= ruser=nrpe rhost= user=nrpe
May 15 15:26:43 on7p0041 sudo: pam_sss(sudo:auth): received for user nrpe: 10 (User not known to the underlying authentication module)
May 15 15:26:43 on7p0041 sudo: nrpe : command not allowed ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=wasadmin ; COMMAND=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_dirsize

This is in the sudoers-file:

nrpe ALL = (wasadmin) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/du
nrpe ALL = (wasadmin) NOPASSWD: /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_dirsize -d /ConnectionsContentStoreLink/blogs/upload/f/b/c/fbc40af7-f364-4114-bd59-6cdddd04f6d0/BLOGS_UPLOADED_IMAGES -w 2000 -c 2048 -f

From the cli i can put in sudo -u wasadmin or witht the user nagios or nrpe, command works fine....

Any idea? Thnx
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Your command might need to be just

Code: Select all

command[check_dirsize]=sudo /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_dirsize $ARG1$
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
welbp00

Post by welbp00 »

Changed a few things, now ik works:

nrpe.cfg:

command[check_dirsize]=sudo -u wasadmin /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_dirsize -d /ConnectionsContentStoreLink/blogs/upload/f/b/c/fbc40af7-f364-4114-bd59-6cdddd04f6d0/BLOGS_UPLOADED_IMAGES -w 2000 -c 2048 -f

/etc/sudoers:

nrpe ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Not really what i wanted.... the directory is different in the dev environment then in the production environment....
Should be an variable...

How to fix that?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

welbp00 wrote:Not really what i wanted.... the directory is different in the dev environment then in the production environment....
Should be an variable...

How to fix that?
If your command is set as this

command[check_dirsize]=sudo -u wasadmin /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_dirsize $ARG1$
You can pass it in an argument such as

./check_nrpe -H linux-server -c check_dirsize -a '-d /ConnectionsContentStoreLink/blogs/upload/f/b/c/fbc40af7-f364-4114-bd59-6cdddd04f6d0/BLOGS_UPLOADED_IMAGES -w 2000 -c 2048 -f'
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
welbp00

Post by welbp00 »

scottwilkerson wrote:
welbp00 wrote:Not really what i wanted.... the directory is different in the dev environment then in the production environment....
Should be an variable...

How to fix that?
If your command is set as this

command[check_dirsize]=sudo -u wasadmin /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_dirsize $ARG1$
You can pass it in an argument such as

./check_nrpe -H linux-server -c check_dirsize -a '-d /ConnectionsContentStoreLink/blogs/upload/f/b/c/fbc40af7-f364-4114-bd59-6cdddd04f6d0/BLOGS_UPLOADED_IMAGES -w 2000 -c 2048 -f'
Yes, got it to work.... however... just once.. Then i see in the nagios gui this error:
Critical: Service check timed out after 60.01 seconds

I have tried several time out values, but nothing worked....
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

That's a really long time for a check to process, how long does it take when you run it on the remote system?

I worry that you are going to cause serious performance issues on the remote system/drive if it takes that long to process and runs very frequently.

That said, to get it to work you likely will need to increase the service_check_timeout directive in your nagios.cfg to a timeframe over 60s

then restart nagios.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
welbp00

Post by welbp00 »

scottwilkerson wrote:That's a really long time for a check to process, how long does it take when you run it on the remote system?

I worry that you are going to cause serious performance issues on the remote system/drive if it takes that long to process and runs very frequently.

That said, to get it to work you likely will need to increase the service_check_timeout directive in your nagios.cfg to a timeframe over 60s

then restart nagios.
Tested with several timeout settings... NOK.

Put this back into the nrpe.cfg :
command[check_dirsize]=sudo -u wasadmin /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_dirsize -d /ConnectionsContentStoreLink/blogs/upload/f/b/c/fbc40af7-f364-4114-bd59-6cdddd04f6d0/BLOGS_UPLOADED_IMAGES -w 2000 -c 2048 -f

set the timeout back to 60 seconds as well, and it still works...

Set the timeperiod to run once a day. Sofar looks okay.

I think i leave it this way, and make a separate nrpe.cfg for the production environment. The path to the dir is different there.

Thnx sofar Scott.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

welbp00 wrote:
scottwilkerson wrote:That's a really long time for a check to process, how long does it take when you run it on the remote system?

then restart nagios.
Tested with several timeout settings... NOK.

Put this back into the nrpe.cfg :

set the timeout back to 60 seconds as well, and it still works...

Set the timeperiod to run once a day. Sofar looks okay.

I think i leave it this way, and make a separate nrpe.cfg for the production environment. The path to the dir is different there.

Thnx sofar Scott.
sounds good!
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com