CHECK_NRPE: Receive header underflow - only -1

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
admincauce

CHECK_NRPE: Receive header underflow - only -1

Post by admincauce »

Hi,

Good morning to all!!!

I have the following problem and I do not know how to solve it. Surely it's silly.

I am monitoring a CentOS server for Nagios. I have correctly configured the nrpe service. When I do a service nrpe status, it launches the following:

● nrpe.service - Nagios Remote Program Executor
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nrpe.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-05-16 08:16:05 WEST; 5min ago
     Docs: http://www.nagios.org/documentation
  Process: 10964 ExecStopPost = / bin / rm -f /var/run/nrpe/nrpe.pid (code = exited, status = 0 / SUCCESS)
  Process: 10962 ExecStart = / usr / sbin / nrpe -c / etc / nagios / nrpe.cfg -f $ NRPE_SSL_OPT (code = exited, status = 2)
 Main PID: 10962 (code = exited, status = 2)

May 16 08:16:05 GESNAG00 systemd [1]: Started Nagios Remote Program Executor.
May 16 08:16:05 GESNAG00 systemd [1]: nrpe.service: main process exited, code = exited, status = 2 / INVALIDARGUMENT
May 16 08:16:05 GESNAG00 systemd [1]: Unit nrpe.service entered failed state.
May 16 08:16:05 GESNAG00 systemd [1]: nrpe.service failed.

But when I launch to verify with the command check_nrpe against any of the checks, it returns me ok:

[root @ GESNAG00] $ / usr / local / nagios / libexec / check_nrpe -H 127.0.0.1 -c check_mem
WARNING - 10.9% (423760 kB) free! | TOTAL = 3880740KB ;;;; USED ​​= 3456980KB; 3104592; 3492666 ;; FREE = 423760KB ;;;; CACHES = 2769752KB ;;;;

What happens is that in Nagios, in the web interface, I get the following information in the chuequeos against this server:

Status Information: CHECK_NRPE: Receive header underflow - only -1 bytes received (4 expected).

What is wrong configured?

Best regards.
npolovenko
Support Tech

Re: CHECK_NRPE: Receive header underflow - only -1

Post by npolovenko »

@admincauce , Sounds like you may be running multiple nrpe agents on the same server. Please sign in to the nrpe server console, run the following command and show me the output:

Code: Select all

netstat -anp | grep 5666
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
admincauce

Post by admincauce »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. This issue was solved.

The problem was in a misconfigured parameter in the nrpe.cfg file that caused it not to correctly raise the nrpe service.

Thank you very much anyway for getting in touch and trying to solve the problem.

regards

:roll: :roll: :roll:
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. This issue was solved.
Glad that's been resolved! I'll close out this post,but if you have any other issues, please feel free to open a new one.

Thank you for using the Nagios Support Forum.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!