monitoring external network clients

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
grahambarnes1985

monitoring external network clients

Post by grahambarnes1985 »

HI all,

struggling a bit with this one. I am trying to get Nagios Core to monitor multiple machines that reside on a different network. That is, my Nagios core is on on one Lan with an external IP address and my client machines are on a different Lan with a different external IP address. I've tried to sort out the ports but I'm not sure which direction I'm supposed to be setting p the traffic.

Basically, each client has NSclient on them and some basic checks so I can prove to my boss that I can monitor external networks but I'm not sure how.

Any help would be appreciated.
benjaminsmith

Re: monitoring external network clients

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello @grahambarnes1985,

What is the error that your getting? Once you have NSClient installed, you'll need to setup the configuration file to allow access by Nagios. You can run a tests from the command line to make sure your Nagios is able to connect.

Once you have established communication, you'll want to setup the Nagios object definitions that specify the check to run, intervals, who to notify...etc.

Here are a few useful links:

Installing The Windows Agent: NSClient++ --- For Nagios XI but still relevant
Nagios Check Libary
Nagios Core Documentation

By the way, the Nagios Cross Platform Agent (NCPA) is also an option for monitoring Windows and has a standard check API.
NCPA
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
grahambarnes1985

Post by grahambarnes1985 »

Hi,

The errors I'm getting are:
'connect to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and port 12489: Connection Refused'
'connect to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and port 5666: Connection Refused'

The problem I am having is i'm not sure how to establish the connection between the two servers. AS the are both on completely different networks, I need to open ports on the firewall at both ends to be able to establish connection between the two servers. However, the problem is i don't know what direction things need to go. I'll have a look at the links you suggested and see if I can get my head round it. I had it working fine when they were both on the same LAN. However now I have moved my nagios box to an external network, I can no longer communicate with the agents
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

You will need to open the incoming connections on ports 12489 and 5666 on the client (remote machine), and outgoing connections on same ports on the nagios server. Check to see if you have a firewall blocking these ports in between the two machines.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!