Add hosts and services on Nagios Core

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
HalimaDiallo

Add hosts and services on Nagios Core

Post by HalimaDiallo »

How can I add hosts and services on core with an already existing GUI? I was sent here from chat rep so I will post bellow our convo:

Hi there! We're happy to help answer any questions you have about Nagios. Just ask!
how do I add hosts and services on nagios core?
here is our Nagios Core admin guide which walks you through how to add things in Nagios Core.
where sir?
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... index.html
Looking back at some of your conversation with Aaron, it looks like you have been working with Nagios XI?
yes but we also have an old core with some of our hosts added on it form a freelancer but we want to know how to add hosts on that ourselves because there are limited amounts of "nodes" that can be added to xi
Understood.
Is there anything else that we can assist with today?
form my understanding, you can add hosts and services on xi in the terminal itself without using external terminal like putty but for nagios core, you need prerequisites to do so?
Yes, Nagios XI has a front end web GUI that makes configuration and setup much quicker.
We already have a running nagios core but I do not have linux running or anything. I am using chome inside winnows OS to open it
You also have the option of programmatically adding hosts and services via the API in Nagios XI
but on core..
You will need to add hosts/services in the CLI with Core
which terminal are used to add hosts? We are no longer in touch with the freelancer so I am not sure rather or not they used AWS instance, redhat or anything. I just have the GUI and log in info
where is the CLI for core?
The documentation provided should be able to show you how to access and modify your Core installation
https://library.nagios.com/library/prod ... e/manuals/
this one?
If so than I do not see that there
Did you click into the online manual?
yes it took me to a even less information based site
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... 1561995469
where here can I see how to add hosts and services?
Click on the "Table of Contents" and you will see the entire Core online manual
yea.. but.. it doesnt show you how to add hosts and services
I already have a running core GUI with hosts already in it
For additional technical assistance with Nagios Core, you will need to work with our support staff via our General Support Forum.
https://support.nagios.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7
14:41
ok thanks
benjaminsmith

Re: Add hosts and services on Nagios Core

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello,
How can I add hosts and services on core with an already existing GUI
While Nagios Core has a web interface for viewing the status of existing hosts and services, it does not have GUI for adding or editing host/service (i.e. object) configurations.

All the object definitions are stored in cfg files located in: /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects and every time a change is made to the configuration files you'll need to restart nagios core (service nagios restart).

To view all your existing configuration files, log into the server and go to:

Code: Select all

cd  /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects
To run a verification on your configuration files, run the following command:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
To learn how to add new hosts and services, it's best to look at your existing configurations and then reference the Nagios Core Object documentation if you need to clarification on a specific setting.

Nagios Core Object Definitions

Let me know if you need clarification on anything or have any questions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!