Service Alarm - Parent/Child

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Pradeeps

Service Alarm - Parent/Child

Post by Pradeeps »

Hi Folks,

I am running on Nagios-core 4.2.4 version on centos 7.

I have 1000s hosts configured in a parent/child relationship and I disabled "UNREACHABLE" notification from the contact so that if a parent host is down, there wont be any notification sent from its child. So far this setup works great, however, the services of the child hosts do send notifications. I know we can configure service dependency for each host but we have 1000s of host and doing it individually will take forever. Is there any other solution to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.
benjaminsmith

Re: Service Alarm - Parent/Child

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi @Pradeeps,

Service dependencies are the best tool to handle this ( and it's certainly easier to setup in Nagios XI). However, there is an option in the Nagios configuration file ( /usr/local/nagios/etc ) that will disable service checks when the host is down.

Code: Select all

host_down_disable_service_checks=1
This will help disable notifications from services when the host is down without requiring setting up dependencies.

See: Nagios XI - Service Dependencies
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
Pradeeps

Post by Pradeeps »

Thanks for your response. The option you said looks like exactly what i am hoping to achieve. I will test it out right away. Thanks a lot.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello @Pradeeps,
Thanks for your response. The option you said looks like exactly what i am hoping to achieve. I will test it out right away. Thanks a lot.
Your welcome. Let us know if you have further questions.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Pradeeps

Post by Pradeeps »

I am noticing for some services, its not triggering any notification when the host is down however it does when i stopped the nrpe daemon. I didnt make any changes to the "host_down_disable_service_checks" and i even checked its set to "0" at the moment. Is it possible that some other setting is contributing this behavior?
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello @Pradeeps,

I would recommend upgrading to the latest version of Core, we did have some notification related bugs in 4.24 that have been fixed.