New version 4.4.4 high CPU Load

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
carlosdaff

New version 4.4.4 high CPU Load

Post by carlosdaff »

Yesterday I update from 4.4.3 to 4.4.4, and everything was fine.
I restart the nagios service and after a few seconds, nagios was runnnig again, except that CPU load rised above 40.
I roll back to version 4.4.3 and works like a charm again...
Anybody has similar behaviour?
swolf
Developer

Re: New version 4.4.4 high CPU Load

Post by swolf »

Hi @carlosdaff,

I believe you're the first person to report this issue. A couple of questions for you:

How large is your system (# of hosts/services)?
What is your CPU load on 4.4.3?

EDIT: I was able to reproduce the issue on a larger system. The issue seems to be due to a change made in the initial check scheduling code. I've pushed a potential fix to the "maint" branch of the GitHub repo, if you'd like to try compiling from there. If not, we'll do another bugfix release soon.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
carlosdaff

Post by carlosdaff »

Is not so large

Active Host / Service Checks: 320 / 707

And runs PNP4nagios, almost in every Service Check to plot them and have some records of values along time.
Tha platform is some little oldie, a Dell SC440, but...
In normal conditions, runnning 4.4.3 have some peaks up to 1.2 of CPU Load, and I mean... with 4.4.4 version, the server it's almost unaccesible, CPU load rises up to 43 when I started the service going down to 18-20 and rises again... insane!
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

How long is the server staying at high load? On my test instance, the load would drop to the level seen in 4.4.3 after about 15 minutes.

Have you tried the fix I mentioned in my previous response?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy
carlosdaff

Post by carlosdaff »

Thank you swolf... !
In my test the CPU stayed high about an hour or more, and I'd started to have some other issues in the server due this load (httpd, postfix and more).
I'll see if in the weekend I can install it with your fix from GitHub Repo.
Then I tell you how it works...
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

Thanks @carlosdaff, let me know how it turns out.