Nagios Network Map

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Explodistan

Nagios Network Map

Post by Explodistan »

Hello,

On my network map it has all the devices coming off of the Nagios Core server. This is really a small thing, but how do I get the map to display my network layout properly? Eg. End devices coming off of the switches they are plugged in to, the servers coming off our main swith, and connections between switches? As of right now it just has everything ballooning off of the main Nagios server.

I am monitoring my devices through the SNMP function and PING functions. Thank you for your help.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Nagios Network Map

Post by scottwilkerson »

This is accomplished by setting the parent parameter on your hosts, for example:
end devices would have a parent of their switch
that switch would have a parent of the next switch or router, etc.

This is best done when looking from the view of nagios
nagios <- first switch (no parent) <- router <- switch <- switch <- end device

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ility.html
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
Explodistan

Post by Explodistan »

Thank you very much for pointing me towards that resource. I figured it was something simple in the configuration file because I know the network map is automatic, not doing any checks on its own. I have been looking for almost a day now for this :D so now my map is being built out correctly.

Thank you so much again!
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Explodistan wrote:Thank you very much for pointing me towards that resource. I figured it was something simple in the configuration file because I know the network map is automatic, not doing any checks on its own. I have been looking for almost a day now for this :D so now my map is being built out correctly.

Thank you so much again!
Great!

Glad to help.

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com