monitor 1 device from 2 nagios servers

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
gaza30

monitor 1 device from 2 nagios servers

Post by gaza30 »

One of our customers want a monitoring system like we use (nagios with a custom dashboard)

We hav figured our dashboard can be recreated with only that customers data on it so are thinking of spinning up another nagios server and configuring it to only monitor their devices. Trouble is we monitor them currently and I was wondering with you specifying the server's address on the nagios client install is it possible to do this with both separate servers monitoring them?

thanks
gary
mbellerue

Re: monitor 1 device from 2 nagios servers

Post by mbellerue »

This seems to be more in the realm of sales. I will get someone in here to take a look at this question.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
psingh

Post by psingh »

My name is Paul and I am with the sales department. I am happy to assist you with this. Since we do have multiple ways of setting this up I have a couple of questions first.

Are you running a trial of Nagios XI or have you already purchased?
Are you a MSP for your client?
mbellerue

Post by mbellerue »

Thanks for jumping in, Paul!
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
gaza30

Post by gaza30 »

Sorry I've gone into the wrong nagios, This was meant for the Nagios Core discussion.

Sorry about that and thanks for replying, feel free to delete this or I will tomorrow once you have had a chance to see this reply.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I moved the topic to the Core forum.

This really all depends on how your Nagios is setup and how it is receiving results (active/passive).

One thing I can tell you is that Nagios will only allow a single host with the same name in it's object definitions, so you cannot for example have 2 hosts named localhost.

You could write the configs calling the host_name something else like client1-localhost but this can get messy
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com