Help with some configuration check behavior

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
admincauce

Help with some configuration check behavior

Post by admincauce »

Good afternoon,

I have a nagios 4 mounted on a Centos 7 virtual machine. I am making adjustments to some alerts and notifications and I need to know if the following can be configured:

- On the one hand, I have several Windows servers, and check the status of them using nrpe to check cpu, disk, memory, uptime. What I want is to establish the uptime check so that I always get an "ok", that is, if the server is restarted by an update, that does not change the status to warning or critical, that it remains OK.

- On the other hand I have a check for some Linux servers, and I would be interested in the following (which I don't know if it can be done in Nagios): once I get the warning, send the notification and disable it to send notifications, since it is a controlled check And when you get to give the critical, the sending of notifications is activated again. Can this be done automatically?

Thank you very much in advance.
mbellerue

Re: Help with some configuration check behavior

Post by mbellerue »

- On the one hand, I have several Windows servers, and check the status of them using nrpe to check cpu, disk, memory, uptime. What I want is to establish the uptime check so that I always get an "ok", that is, if the server is restarted by an update, that does not change the status to warning or critical, that it remains OK.
This one seems a little tricky. Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, you want an uptime check that doesn't alert if the uptime is ruined due to Windows Updates getting applied. Is that correct? If this is so, you could set your updates to install on a certain day, at a certain time, and then use scheduled downtime so that the service check does not alert during the period that Windows Updates are being applied, and for a short time after, say maybe 30 minutes. Then your uptime service check would alert on an uptime of less than 30 minutes.

Scheduled downtime
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ntime.html
- On the other hand I have a check for some Linux servers, and I would be interested in the following (which I don't know if it can be done in Nagios): once I get the warning, send the notification and disable it to send notifications, since it is a controlled check And when you get to give the critical, the sending of notifications is activated again. Can this be done automatically?
This sounds like a job for notification_interval. If you set this to 0, only 1 notification will be sent out. If your service (or host if that's what you're configuring) is set to notify on warn and crit, you will get 1 notification for warn, and 1 for crit.

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... ml#service

Does this help?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!