Warning state when critical event

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
tmvision

Warning state when critical event

Post by tmvision »

Hi,

I have this alias configured in nsclient.ini

CheckEventLog file=application "filter=generated gt -20h AND (level eq 'error' or level eq 'warning') and source eq 'MSSQLSERVER' and message like 'backup'" unique descriptions "top-syntax=${count} message(s): ${problem_list}"

Is it possible to return only a warning state when state is critical? I've tried with the warn filter but did not work.

Any help much appreciated.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Warning state when critical event

Post by scottwilkerson »

I think you need to set the crit level to blank and change the warning levels

Code: Select all

CheckEventLog file=application "filter=generated gt -20h AND (level eq 'error' or level eq 'warning') and source eq 'MSSQLSERVER' and message like 'backup'" unique descriptions "top-syntax=${count} message(s): ${problem_list}" "warn=level in ('warning', 'error', 'critical')" "crit=level in ()"
By default they are

warning 	level = ‘warning’, problem_count > 0
critical 	level in (‘error’, ‘critical’)
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
tmvision

Post by tmvision »

scottwilkerson wrote:I think you need to set the crit level to blank and change the warning levels

CheckEventLog file=application "filter=generated gt -20h AND (level eq 'error' or level eq 'warning') and source eq 'MSSQLSERVER' and message like 'backup'" unique descriptions "top-syntax=${count} message(s): ${problem_list}" "warn=level in ('warning', 'error', 'critical')" "crit=level in ()"
By default they are

warning 	level = ‘warning’, problem_count > 0
critical 	level in (‘error’, ‘critical’)
Thanks for the reply, however nagios shows failure:

Failed to validate filter see log for details: Warning expression is not valid: count>=level in ('warning', 'error', 'critical')
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Their documentation is terrible, the only way I would see to get it to only give a warning is to set crit= to a really high value in the version I am running

for example

CheckEventLog file=application "filter=generated gt -20h AND (level eq 'error' or level eq 'warning') and source eq 'MSSQLSERVER' and message like 'backup'" unique descriptions "top-syntax=${count} message(s): ${problem_list}" "crit=999999"
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
tmvision

Post by tmvision »

scottwilkerson wrote:Their documentation is terrible, the only way I would see to get it to only give a warning is to set crit= to a really high value in the version I am running

for example

CheckEventLog file=application "filter=generated gt -20h AND (level eq 'error' or level eq 'warning') and source eq 'MSSQLSERVER' and message like 'backup'" unique descriptions "top-syntax=${count} message(s): ${problem_list}" "crit=999999"
Yes we are using huge amounts of time to setup nagios.

Your example helped a lot, thanks.

I had to add "crit=999999" "warn=1" though, otherwise no warning would show.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

tmvision wrote: Yes we are using huge amounts of time to setup nagios.

Your example helped a lot, thanks.

I had to add "crit=999999" "warn=1" though, otherwise no warning would show.
Great!

Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com