cannot start nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
sebmcclouth

cannot start nagios

Post by sebmcclouth »

Hi all,

I'm running Raspbian Buster on a Raspberry Pi 1. For network monitoring I decided to use Nagios.
Everything went well on installing until I got the part where i had to create a link to the nagios file in /etc/init.d.

I know the question has been asked several times before, but I though that my case seemed different.

The file didn't exist. So I googled it up, and tried several approaches, including re-making install-init, but still the file isn't generated. I've tried using files posted online by people but also without much avail. I though that the tutorial I was following was pretty straight forward but setting up Nagios as a Service isn't working out as it should.

Nagios status:
● nagios.service - Nagios Core Monitoring Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/nagios.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2019-09-08 01:02:06 BST; 19s ago
Process: 6256 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/nagios start (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Sep 08 01:02:06 monitor systemd[1]: Starting Nagios Core Monitoring Daemon...
Sep 08 01:02:06 monitor systemd[6256]: nagios.service: Failed to execute command: Exec format error
Sep 08 01:02:06 monitor systemd[6256]: nagios.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /etc/init.d/nagios: Exec format error
Sep 08 01:02:06 monitor systemd[1]: nagios.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Sep 08 01:02:06 monitor systemd[1]: nagios.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 08 01:02:06 monitor systemd[1]: Failed to start Nagios Core Monitoring Daemon.

Thx for reading so far, and hopefully helping me out here...
benjaminsmith

Re: cannot start nagios

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello @sebmcclouth,

Which instructions/tutorials did you use to install Nagios? Did you follow the guide on our knowledgebase at:

Nagios Core - Installing Nagios Core From Source

If not, please try again using those instructions. Thanks.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!