Need to check interfaces status in linux server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
admincauce

Need to check interfaces status in linux server

Post by admincauce »

Hi to all,

I need to know if there is a check that allows me to monitor the status of the network cards on a physical Linux server. In theory I have a physical server that has 4 network interfaces configured, and two of them are forming a bond, so I would like to have a check of each of them separately, know when they are UP and notify me when there is any DOWN like this Like the bond status.

It would be an "ethtool" style check which gives me information Link Detected yes or no.

Thank you very much in advance!
mbellerue

Re: Need to check interfaces status in linux server

Post by mbellerue »

There are definitely a lot of plugins on the Exchange for checking interfaces, but they seem to mostly be for checking I/O rates and error rates. This one seems to check specifically for an interface being up or down. It does have some special requirements, so definitely check out the notes placed at the beginning of the script.

https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... ce/details
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!