Service notify

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
HaschkeD

Re: Service notify

Post by HaschkeD »

OK.
Yesterday i disconnected the network interface on one virtual maschine. The VM goes in down state with all the services.
I get a notification about that the host is down. But no Services notification.
So i expect.
I don't know why it is on other hosts another behavior.
We use the same template for the hosts…...
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello @HaschkeD,

If you'd like let let me know the exact name of the hosts and services in question and I can review the configuration files for you.

Please send me a zip file of the /usr/local/nagios/etc directory along with /usr/local/nagios/var/objects.cache and /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
HaschkeD

Post by HaschkeD »

Thanks, i have send you a private message…..
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello,

I'm not able to find any configuration settings that host (from PM) in the configuration files. Can you verify the name again?

Also, since there's nothing in the nagios.log check the permissions on that directory/file and send over a notifications report/sreenshot from the web interface for the period in question.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

HaschkeD

Post by HaschkeD »

Have send you a PM.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello,

Thanks for sending over the log and screen shots. Looking over the log, the host XenApp_04 actually never went HARD down.
49410:[1569114095] HOST ALERT: XENAPP04_Shop;DOWN;SOFT;1;PING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%
49443:[1569114181] HOST ALERT: XENAPP04_Shop;DOWN;SOFT;2;PING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%
49447:[1569114233] HOST ALERT: XENAPP04_Shop;UP;SOFT;3;PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 1.66 ms
49448:[1569114235] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: ungerk;XENAPP04_Shop;Check VMware Tools Service;CRITICAL;notify-service-by-email;CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 90 seconds
49449:[1569114236] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: simonc;XENAPP04_Shop;Check VMware Tools Service;CRITICAL;notify-service-by-email;CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 90 seconds
49450:[1569114236] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: huhnk;XENAPP04_Shop;Check VMware Tools Service;CRITICAL;notify-service-by-email;CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 90 seconds
From the log above you can see the host went soft down for several checks but then recovered. However, at this point, the services begin to timeout. I suspect you were having some network issues as service checks usually take longer to execute than host checks ( ping test).

One these services timed out, you began to receive all the notifications on 9/22 and this would be expected behavior for Nagios. I PM you the log file of with only the data for this host.

HaschkeD

Post by HaschkeD »

Thanks for analyse the logs.
I have read this article:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... types.html

Is there a method to stop that behavior?
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello,

For service checks, I would recommend increasing the timeout settings on the check commmand. This is typically done by adding a -t 60 to the check command. However, it is dependent upon the plugin ( check the --help section for the options).

Next, make sure the Nagios server is processing correctly and is not overloaded. The following article has some tips for maximizing performance in Nagios Core.

Tuning Nagios For Maximum Performance