Check_nrpe on Windows Host - CheckEventLog

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
craigtho

Check_nrpe on Windows Host - CheckEventLog

Post by craigtho »

Hi,

So with my check_nrpe now working, I am trying to check my event log for a specific event for Windows Defender. I have tried 2 possible ways and both aren't meeting my demands.

Firstly, I tried a custom plugin for nagions - check_wmi_eventid.sh. This was done purely because I was aware of it before carrying out this Nagios install for a different employer: https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... MI/details

I have successfully set this command up and its output as follows:

Code: Select all

root@glamon2:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# ./check_wmi_eventid.sh -H 192.168.60.41 -u mydomain/myusername -p mypassword -l application -e 1000 -w 1 -c 3 -t1 -m60000
Select EventCode,EventIdentifier,EventType,SourceName from Win32_NTLogEvent where ( Logfile = "application" ) and ( eventcode = "1000" ) and ( EventType = "1" ) and TimeGenerated > "20190807192311.000000-000"
CRITICAL 15 with Severity Level Error in application with in the last 41 Days, 16 hour|eventid1000=15;1;3;;
What I need this to do, is to monitor the LogFile C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational, so simiarly:

root@glamon2:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# ./check_wmi_eventid.sh -H 192.168.60.41 -u mydomain/myusername -p mypassword -l Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational -e 2000 -w 1 -c 3 -t1 -m60000

check_wmi_eventid is a script to check windows event log , for a certian eventid..

Simple example : check application log , for eventtype error(-t) and  eventid 9003(-e) with in the last 60 mins(-m60),
set warning (-w) if greater than 1 ,and set error(-c) if greater than 3

check_wmi_eventid  -H 172.10.10.10 -u domain/user -p password -l application -e 9003  -w 1 -c 3  -t1 -m60

Adv. example : same as above , but with arguments -O -W -C, these are custom plugin output for OK,Warning and Critical
Marco ITEMCOUNT,LASTSTR , can be used!!

check_wmi_eventid  -H 172.10.10.10 -u domain/user -p password -l application -e 9003  -w 1 -c 3  -t1 -m60 -O "Every thing is OK"
-W "Warning : something is not right" -C "It is totaly bad , found ITEMCOUNT events"

With Eventtype error, warning and Information

check_wmi_eventid  -H 172.10.10.10 -u domain/user -p password -l application -e 9003  -w 1 -c 3  -t1,2,3 -m60 -O "Every thing is OK"
-W "Warning : something is not right" -C "It is totaly bad , found ITEMCOUNT events"

Try it out :)

If you find any error , please let me know

OPTIONS:
   -h      Show this message
   -H      Host/Ip
   -u      Domain/user
   -p      password
   -f      path to credentials file instead. user and password ignored if set. First line Domain\user, second line password
   -l      Name of the log eg "System" or "Application" or any other Event log as shown in the Windows "Event Viewer".
   -t      Eventtype: # 1=error , 2=warning , 3=Information,4=Security Audit Success,5=Security Audit Failure. Multiple Eventypes  possible with , separation
   -e      Eventid, Multiple Eventids possible with , separation
   -s      Sting search for string in message,Multiple strings possible with , separation
   -S      SourceName ,Multiple SourceNames possible with , separation
   -m      Number of past min to check for events.
   -w      Warning
   -W      Custom waring string    - ITEMCOUNT,LASTSTR marco can be used  ex. -W "ITEMCOUNT Wanings  with in the LASTSTR"
   -c      Critical
   -C      Custom critical string  - ITEMCOUNT,LASTSTR marco can be used  ex. -W "ITEMCOUNT Critical  with in the LASTSTR"
   -O      Custom ok sting         - ITEMCOUNT,LASTSTR marco can be used  ex. -W "Everything ok with in the LASTSTR"
   -U      CUstom unknown string   - ITEMCOUNT,LASTSTR marco can be used  ex. -W "ITEMCOUNT  Unknowns  with in the LASTSTR"
   -d      Debug
   -v      Version
This is happening because of the space between Windows and Defender in the log files path. How do I set this on this script?

Or via method two, which I have not been able to create a correct syntax for yet (example syntax):

root@glamon2:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# ./check_nrpe -H 192.168.60.41 -c CheckEventLog -a file=application file=system MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 "filter=generated gt -2d AND severity NOT IN ('success', 'informational') AND source != 'SideBySide'" truncate=800 unique descriptions "syntax=%severity%: %source%: %message% (%count%)"
How can I use either of these to monitor that specific log?

PS, putting a % between the space in "Windows Defender" doesn't work.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Check_nrpe on Windows Host - CheckEventLog

Post by scottwilkerson »

Can you quote the log file name like so?

root@glamon2:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# ./check_wmi_eventid.sh -H 192.168.60.41 -u mydomain/myusername -p mypassword -l 'Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational' -e 2000 -w 1 -c 3 -t1 -m60000
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
craigtho

Post by craigtho »

Okay so

root@glamon2:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# ./check_wmi_eventid.sh -H 192.168.60.41 -u mydomain/myusername -p mypassword -l 'Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational' -e 2000 -w 1 -c 3 -t1 -m60000
Select EventCode,EventIdentifier,EventType,SourceName from Win32_NTLogEvent where ( Logfile = "Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational" ) and ( eventcode = "2000" ) and ( EventType = "1" ) and TimeGenerated > "20190807202401.000000-000"
OK 0 with Severity Level Error in Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational with in the last 41 Days, 16 hour|eventid1000=0;1;3;;
However, this is incorrect, the log has records inside of it:

https://imgur.com/a/UMwGDML

Unless of course, because these are informational logs by the event id., however:

root@glamon2:/usr/local/nagios/libexec# ./check_wmi_eventid.sh -H 192.168.60.41 -u mydomain/myusername -p mypassword -l 'Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational' -e 2001 -w 1 -c 3 -t1 -m60000
Select EventCode,EventIdentifier,EventType,SourceName from Win32_NTLogEvent where ( Logfile = "Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational" ) and ( eventcode = "2001" ) and ( EventType = "1" ) and TimeGenerated > "20190807203133.000000-000"
OK 0 with Severity Level Error in Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender%4Operational with in the last 41 Days, 16 hour|eventid2001=0;1;3;;
And as we can see here, these event IDs definitely exist with critical warnings

https://imgur.com/a/svSWYV3

So, I think that anything except the baseline Windows event logs: Application, System, Setup, Security or Forwarded events will fail to check with this plugin.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

I believe you may run into this with many off the shelf plugins...

I did just verify these do show up if you are sending logs from Windows machines to Nagios Log Server, and they could be monitored there
https://www.nagios.com/products/nagios-log-server/
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
craigtho

Post by craigtho »

Sadly, a Nagios Log server is already out of the budget for my environment (or else id be using Nagios XI instead of Core)

What about the check_nrpe built in CheckEventLog system? Is there an example syntax for monitoring this log using that?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

NSClient++ is not our project directly, so I'm not 100% sure if it can do that, but I can point you to the documentation.

https://docs.nsclient.org/reference/win ... kEventLog/
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com