Nagios state during Downtime

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
vlakshman

Nagios state during Downtime

Post by vlakshman »

I am using Nagios 4.4.3 & have configured service downtime.

During downtime I note the following.

1) Service check wont happen
2) Notifications will not be sent

Both these make sense. But the service retains the last known state as Service Status which can be confusing to user.
For Example: If last known service status was OK before it enters DOWNTIME, the service shows status as OK even during DOWNTIME.

Generating Trends report will also show the state to be in OK state during DOWNTIME.

I also note this service check would change state to PENDING if Nagios service is restarted during DOWNTIME.

I want to have a host/service to be reporting 'PENDING' during downtime.
Is there a way to achieve this?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Nagios state during Downtime

Post by scottwilkerson »

Nagios should continue to check service state during downtime, it just suppresses notifications.
vlakshman wrote:Generating Trends report will also show the state to be in OK state during DOWNTIME.
If you do not want to count downtime, see the advanced tab of the trend report and check "Assume States During Program Downtime"
vlakshman wrote:I also note this service check would change state to PENDING if Nagios service is restarted during DOWNTIME.
Make sure your nagios.cfg has the following set

Code: Select all

retain_state_information=1
vlakshman wrote:I want to have a host/service to be reporting 'PENDING' during downtime.
Is there a way to achieve this?
This is not possible.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com