Duplicate PROBLEM notifications being sent

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jammerxd

Duplicate PROBLEM notifications being sent

Post by jammerxd »

Hi there, I followed the tutorial from this site on how to setup SNMP trapping(idrac 6) so that I could receive emails when something fails. I was just wondering why I'm getting duplicate PROBLEM emails(exact time, second, content) and not duplicate recovery or custom alerts. Please let me know what configs I need to share.

Tutorial Link: https://paulgporter.net/2013/09/16/nagios-snmp-traps/

Thanks to anyone who can help.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Duplicate PROBLEM notifications being sent

Post by scottwilkerson »

This tutorial shows setting

Code: Select all

is_volatile                     1
with that setting contacts are notified with every different non-OK check
Volatile services differ from "normal" services in three important ways. Each time they are checked when they are in a hard non-OK state, and the check returns a non-OK state (i.e. no state change has occurred)

the non-OK service state is logged
contacts are notified about the problem (if that's what should be done). Note: Notification intervals are ignored for volatile services.
the event handler for the service is run (if one has been defined)

These events normally only occur for services when they are in a non-OK state and a hard state change has just occurred. In other words, they only happen the first time that a service goes into a non-OK state. If future checks of the service result in the same non-OK state, no hard state change occurs and none of the events mentioned take place again.
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... vices.html
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com