livestatus VERY slow

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
fpaladinw

livestatus VERY slow

Post by fpaladinw »

Hi,
we are using from years nagioscore + livestatus with success on our big linux clusters, and a problem arose just in the last cluster.

This is our last installation:

Nagios Core 4.4.3
Livestatus 1.5.0p11

We have to to this simple query:

[root@CLUSTER1 ~]# cat query_services
GET services
Columns: host_name description last_hard_state host_groups scheduled_downtime_depth host_scheduled_downtime_depth acknowledged host_acknowledged active_checks_enabled plugin_output host_downtimes downtimes state state_type current_attempt max_check_attempts notes_expanded contact_groups check_command

It works, but it take too long, 100x the usual time:

[root@CLUSTER1 ~]# time cat query_services | /usr/local/bin/unixcat /install/nagios/var/rw/live | wc -l

real 0m11.751s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.008s

If I remove the field "notes_expanded" in the query we obtain the usual timing, around 0.1 seconds:

[root@CLUSTER1 ~]# cat query_services-without-notes_expanded
GET services
Columns: host_name description last_hard_state host_groups scheduled_downtime_depth host_scheduled_downtime_depth acknowledged host_acknowledged active_checks_enabled plugin_output host_downtimes downtimes state state_type current_attempt max_check_attempts contact_groups check_command

[root@CLUSTER1 ~]# time cat query_services-without-notes_expanded | /usr/local/bin/unixcat /install/nagios/var/rw/live | wc -l

real 0m0.130s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.009s

Any tip? Is a nagios or livestatus problem?

Thanks,
Federico

PS: in other installations, for example

Nagios Core 4.3.2
livestatus-1.2.6p16

all works in reasonable time: the presence of notes_expanded triple the query time, not make it 100x!!

[root@CLUSTER2 ~]# time cat query_services | /usr/local/bin/unixcat /install/nagios/var/rw/live | wc -l

real 0m0.469s
user 0m0.003s
sys 0m0.026s

[root@master02(A3) ~]# time cat query_services-without-notes_expanded | /usr/local/bin/unixcat /install/nagios/var/rw/live | wc -l

real 0m0.176s
user 0m0.004s
sys 0m0.013s
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: livestatus VERY slow

Post by scottwilkerson »

fpaladinw wrote: Any tip? Is a nagios or livestatus problem?
I hate to pass the buck, but this has to be a livestatus issue as notes_expanded isn't any part of the Nagios Core project, so it must happen in something that livestatus does.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
fpaladinw

Post by fpaladinw »

scottwilkerson wrote:
fpaladinw wrote: Any tip? Is a nagios or livestatus problem?
I hate to pass the buck, but this has to be a livestatus issue as notes_expanded isn't any part of the Nagios Core project, so it must happen in something that livestatus does.
OK, that's a piece of information anyway, thanks.

So, if you are suggesting me to contact livestatus distributors, that's seems to me a not-so-easy task because livestatus is referred here

https://checkmk.com/cms_livestatus.html

but obviously we do not have checkmk product so this contact

https://checkmk.com/support.html

is not for us.

If you have some suggestion about how to address this request please tell us, thank you,
Federico
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

Unfortunately that is going to be your best bet as we are not the developers of livestatus and do not have knowledge of it's code base or reported bugs.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com