Nagios Core Dump File

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
derekbrewer

Nagios Core Dump File

Post by derekbrewer »

Nagios segfaulted on us today and it produced a core file. I started looking at it a little bit, but I'm not sure exactly what to look for. A few basic commands gave me this...

(gdb) where
#0 0x00007ffff75504ad in vfprintf () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#1 0x00007ffff755b287 in vfwprintf () from /lib64/libc.so.6
Backtrace stopped: previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb) bt full
#0 0x00007ffff75504ad in vfprintf () from /lib64/libc.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#1 0x00007ffff755b287 in vfwprintf () from /lib64/libc.so.6
No symbol table info available.
Backtrace stopped: previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)

I'm running Nagios Core 4.3.4 on RHEL7.5. I have plans to upgrade to the latest version of Nagios, but I'm not there yet. I'm really just looking to see if there's anything interesting that can be pulled out of this core file. Anyone have any good tips for this?
mbellerue

Re: Nagios Core Dump File

Post by mbellerue »

Unfortunately it's really difficult to get anything out of a single core dump. There are so many reasons an application could crash. Core dumps become much more useful when an application is crashing in a somewhat predictable manner. From there we can figure out a starting point and start investigating.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!