Nagios is Failing to Start

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
tbyrd82

Nagios is Failing to Start

Post by tbyrd82 »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get Nagios Core up and running on Ubuntu but am having a hard time actually getting it to function.

I'm running Ubuntu Ver. 18
and Installed Nagios Core: 4.4.5

I did a clean install using Nagios' website and once it is installed it wont start. If i run "sudo systemctl start nagios.service" I get:

Job for nagios.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status nagios.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Here is "systemctl status nagios.service":

nagios.service - Nagios Core Monitoring Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/nagios.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-10-07 14:33:13 PDT; 6s ago
Process: 2819 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/scripts/nagios start (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[1]: Starting Nagios Core Monitoring Daemon...
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[2819]: nagios.service: Failed to execute command: No such file or dire
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[2819]: nagios.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/lib/systemd/s
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[1]: nagios.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=203
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[1]: nagios.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[1]: Failed to start Nagios Core Monitoring Daemon.

And "journalctl -xe":

-- Unit nagios.service has begun starting up.
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[2819]: nagios.service: Failed to execute command: No such file or dire
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[2819]: nagios.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/lib/systemd/s
-- Subject: Process /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/nagios could not be executed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
--
-- The process /usr/lib/systemd/scripts/nagios could not be executed and failed.
--
-- The error number returned by this process is 2.
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[1]: nagios.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=203
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[1]: nagios.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 07 14:33:13 Lab systemd[1]: Failed to start Nagios Core Monitoring Daemon.
-- Subject: Unit nagios.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
--
-- Unit nagios.service has failed.
tgriep
Madmin

Re: Nagios is Failing to Start

Post by tgriep »

First, let's run a verification of the Nagios configurations to see if there are any errors. Run the following as root and post the output here so we can view it.

Code: Select all

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
If you see any errors, that would stop the process from starting so fix the errors and try starting the nagios process again.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!