Can you ignore "socket timeout" errors?

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
owl770

Can you ignore "socket timeout" errors?

Post by owl770 »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to ignore "socket timeout" errors (in general)?

I have a host sitting on a dodgy network that is not in my power to fix. I have a number of checks running on the host and I only want to know about errors with the actual check (when it connects successfully) and want to ignore any "socket timeout" errors.

Is this possible?

Thanks.
benjaminsmith

Re: Can you ignore "socket timeout" errors?

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hello,

There isn't a direct way to filter out "socket timeouts" but you can adjust the configuration settings to minimize the number of errors. For example,

1. Increase the timeout out threshold for the check command. Most plugins will have a timeout flag, increase this to -t 60.

2. Increase the number of check attempts and the re-try interval.

3. If necessary, enable flap detection. This will keep the last 21 check for the host or service, and you can set high and low thresholds for alerting. This feature is useful for checks that change too frequently.

Detection and Handling of State Flapping
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!